Installed Sozo "mustard cap" repros in my 18 watt

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

zenin

Installed Sozo "mustard cap" repros in my 18 watt

Post by zenin »

John at Sozo is now making the repro mustard caps in all the values we need for the 18 watters. I finally got around to installing them in my amp and am really diggin' the results so far. They have added a lot of low-mid "girth" to the sound of the amp. Also, really smooothed out the sound - and I thought it was pretty smooth before. After I installed them, I went to the Sozo site and read the user's feedback/comments and felt they were really accurate. John claims these "break-in" and really sound even better after about 100 hrs. Gotta get back to playin' now but I'd recommend checking them out. They are not expensive and have really added a nice ballsiness to my amp.
0 x

DutchMarco
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by DutchMarco »

And where would we be able to find these mustard caps (sounds like they're yellow just like Mallory resistors)? Any URL you'd like to share?
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

you can get them here but they have a main site somewhere too,maybe if someone can find it ,they can add it to the links. Bhere is a link that has some .

http://www.metroamp.com/store/index.php ... 3f2d101d3b

Richie
0 x

tbone

Post by tbone »

Here's a link to SoZo's site.

http://www.sozoamplification.com/

Tim
0 x

myker
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by myker »

it's all true! it seems that sozo's sound better and better every time you turn on your amp. great stuff!
mike
0 x

zenin

Post by zenin »

Had the chance to play my 18 watt with the Sozos for a few hours today and I am diggin' them even more. Dutch Marc - check out the Sozo website. It gives a pretty thorough explanation of what these caps are. They are most definitely NOT relabeled Malory's. They are custom made in the style of the old Mustards.
0 x

Sir_Franc_of_Soscastoa
Unrated

Post by Sir_Franc_of_Soscastoa »

Would someone care to create a small list of the caps that could or should be SoZos?

I have just started on this 18W and I am prettyconfused about what should be 'mustards' or caps.

If Sozo has all the caps we need, what are the codes?

Thanks,

Franc.
0 x

KingCrimson
Old timer, Never stops talking

Post by KingCrimson »

This is a Noob question I realize, but when you guys start experimenting with your amps by putting in whole new sets of resistors and caps, doesn't it ever get messy trying to desolder parts, and do you ever have problems that crop up after you've done it that you can't seem to figure out? I know it's all a learning process, but I'm almost afraid to start operating on my amp again after it actually worked when I first built it ( I still can't believe it).

I suppose the NEXT build I do, I will go with the Sozos. The Orange Drops in my amp ain't goin' NOwhere for now.

I'm a skeered (scared for you northerners) baby, so I'll have to leave well enough alone for now. Especially after all the money that's gone into it.
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

I think changing caps/resistors is one of the easier things to do. Just heat, take out, put new one in where the holes are!

I ordered a set around nwe years. Haven't got em yet, but I'm anxious to see what all the hype is about.
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

Well what do ya know, not long after saying they hadn't arrived yet, here they are.
So I put them in. I replaced ALL the caps, even the 3 trem caps. with Sozos. There was one tiny value they don't have though.

But anyway, here's my comparison to the Mallory 150s that I love and prefer over all the currently available caps.

First off, am I glad I did the pain in the @$$ job of replacing all those caps? Yes. It sounds better. The distortion sounds a LOT better.
I also experienced the a slight volume reduction that some mention. But I think I have an explanation for this: it's just a shift in frequency emphasis. I would never describe the Mallorys as harsh, but after putting in the Sozos I realize they had an upper-mid boost thing going on. The Sozos seem to shift that down a bit lower. I find I can turn it up louder now. So I think the volume loss is justt getting rid of those particular freq. that stood out before.

It is also more clear with the Sozos. I didn't think anything was lacking with the amp before, but now I see there was. It has that special early Marshall 'something' now that was missing. There seems to be more texture. It's fatter. It really sounds fantastic.
The high end isn't as mellow as the Mallorys (we'll see how this break-in thing goes though). But it's much more clear and has none of that blurry sound the Mallorys do.

Well worth it I think. This is THE vintage Marshall/Vox sound.
0 x

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson »

Psalm150 wrote: First off, am I glad I did the pain in the @$$ job of replacing all those caps? Yes. It sounds better.
Well, as per my concerns above, it WAS a pain then, right?

Why was it such a pain in your case? Anything unexpected while doing this operation?

But nonetheless, I am fascinated that the tone could be transformed so drastically from just changing to Sozos.

Hmmmmmm,,,,,,I might have to start cuttin' on my TMB now because I'm gettin' kinda curious. If this is what it takes to be chief rocker, then count me in.............soon.
0 x

Strat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Strat »

I went back to the Sozo site to have another read through regarding this break in thing and if everything is as they say the caps should be really good but different after the 100hrs. The change in components over time is well known and in a lot of electronics is detrimental but seems to be good in guitar amps, IMO. Now 100hrs is a lot of playing time and have any of you guys found a big change once you pass this?

Might be a daft idea but has anyone thought of making a bench circuit with a signal going through all the right value caps to break them in prior to fitting? Might be a service our commercial guys could offer as a selling point.

MarkW
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

Crimson,
Nothing unexpected happened. It's simple and straight forward. But...it is a bit of a pain. Especially if you like it to look nice and straight. Probably the most frustrating thing is when you take the old cap out and wires/resistors pop out too. Then you have to try and solder in the new cap lead along with the other stuff whilst keeping everythig form popping out. Not too bad, but can get frustrating and you wish you had a 3rd hand. Took me about an hour to make sure everything was tidy and all the solder joints were solid.
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

Also wanted to add, that the harshness is already mellowing out. I played for 4 hours yesterday and it is sounding smoother. Maybe there is something to the break in deal after all. 4 down 96 hours to go. Lol!

This is my new cap for all things british. I've got a tube preamp pedal to Sozo-out now.
0 x

JeffFlowerday

Post by JeffFlowerday »

I noticed all the things mentioned above plus the sozos took away a little top end fizz that was annoying with the Mallory 150s.
0 x