My 36W Project

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: My 36W Project

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Also, I want to sincerely thank all of you on these forums who provided comments and advice as I went through the design and build of this amp. It paid off in the end!

Jack
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

My 36W amp has now been requisitioned by my daughter, who started playing last year. She's thrilled by the tone and the classic British sound. In exchange, she has given me the little Acoustic G10 practice amp we bought for $20. The case is in perfect condition, so I think it will make a good foundation for a future low power tube combo. Not planning any frills in this one, no reverb or FX loop, just lots of high energy gain and a good speaker. Oh, and maybe tremolo. There are so many choices for the output stage, I don't even know where to start. Will probably restrict it to a single-ended design, but even so there are dozens of candidates for the output stage. 6BL7, 6V6 pentode/triode, 6AQ5, 6CL6, 5763, 5686, etc., etc. I'll start a new thread for this when the work starts. :)

Jack
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Wow..wait a little.. Maybe this 1 watter I'm building turns out great, and a good option for low power amp build for you.
Lucky you! I have 3 Kids and none of them play music. They only nag when I'm playing ๐Ÿ˜‰
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Bieworm wrote: โ†‘
Mon 06/07/21 10:39 am
Wow..wait a little.. Maybe this 1 watter I'm building turns out great, and a good option for low power amp build for you.
Lucky you! I have 3 Kids and none of them play music. They only nag when I'm playing ๐Ÿ˜‰
I'm sure your 1W WILL turn out great! I need to do this one on my own though, a one-off mongrel instead of a copy. Also, I have all the basic building blocks on hand for a single ended design - OPTs, power xfmrs, 6X4/6X5 rectifiers, etc. For low power push-pull, I would have to buy at least the OPT. I'm thinking along the lines of two or three high-gain stages driving a James tone stack with a 2W to 4W output stage. Tubes are likely to be types not usually seen in guitar amps. My biggest expense for a project like this will be the chassis and a new speaker. Almost everything else is on the shelf.

Jack
2 x