36W sources in Europe?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

DeeAa
Unrated

36W sources in Europe?

Post by DeeAa »

Hello,

Any ideas is someone making similar amps as Ceriatone but based in Europe? A little hesitant to order to Finland from all the way there...I just emailed Nik about it though. Seems to me it might be impossible to get one from Europe at comparable prices, but please lemme know if you've happened accross some source for them....

Cheers,

Dee
http://www.crankenhaus.com
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

I'm afraid Europe is most expensive...
You'll find that's hard to beat Ceriatone price...
Tad offer kits but I didn't see 36 variant... http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/index.php?cPath=96_113
give them a call.
0 x

RockinDoc

Re: 36W sources in Europe?

Post by RockinDoc »

DeeAa wrote:Hello,

Any ideas is someone making similar amps as Ceriatone but based in Europe? A little hesitant to order to Finland from all the way there...I just emailed Nik about it though. Seems to me it might be impossible to get one from Europe at comparable prices, but please lemme know if you've happened accross some source for them....

Cheers,

Dee
http://www.crankenhaus.com
Dee,

Not sure, but I think Atlanta is a lot further away from Maylasia than Finland, and mine was here in no time once they got my order in place, etc. And Nik is THE MAN when it comes to follow-up and customer service! And believe me, I wore him out with emails during my build (novice here). The materials are top-notch and mine sounds like a perfect 10!

If it's your first build, though, know that there are no step-by-step instructions; it's just you, an on-line layout, and a big pile of stuff! Many hours of reading required, and major sphincter tone on first start-up and voltage readings!! But that's just me...

Shipping will hit you a little hard coming from there, but when you consider the prices and all the options he has, it was a no-brainer for me. There are some great kit makers Stateside, but I'm not sure there is much in the way of 36 watt options. If I'm wrong on that, someone correct me, 'cause I'd like to know.
0 x
Regards,

RockinDoc

DeeAa
Unrated

Yep...

Post by DeeAa »

Thanks Doc,

Well I came to the conclusion that I'll order the head ready-made. With all the airfreight (300$) and finnish taxes on top, it really makes very little difference in the end price whether Nik builds it or I do. And I have little experience with such builds.

Also, the guy whose amp I tested said his (kit) had been very roughly handled, and we figured a ready-made head might fare better. He had all kinds of parts twisted and cracked, even those metal plates in trannies had been knocked off center etc.

But, I'm just writing my order to Nik, he said I can excpect delivery in about one month.

Cheers,

Deehttp://www.crankenhaus.com
0 x

pekelnik

Post by pekelnik »

what? 300$ postage? Nik can send it via USPS and it is around 70$ I think.
0 x

Chubsman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Chubsman »

Nik has sent me compelte kits from Malaysia to Canada and it was only $40US ( and I got it in 3 days)

If you are in Europe... that is one Ocean less to cross... Should be cheap. Nik is a great guy...
0 x

sub
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by sub »

I'm in Europe.
One ocean less ...... plus $59 8O i don't know why :?:
From Nik shippment table:
18W kit 8.5Kg (to Hungary EU):
Air parcell $99
DHL $157
TNT $218 :evil:
Yes! i know! I'm live in a "wrong" place :lol:
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

sub wrote:I'm in Europe.
Air parcell $99
DHL $157
so, sub we are neighbours!
I'm in Zagreb.
I'll try to organize low watt amp meeting this summer in Zagreb.
So if you are not faaaaar north....it would be very nice to see you :!:
:wink:
0 x

Bulatovic
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Bulatovic »

Oh, sir Leslie, so you are very serious about doing that show?! That's great to hear! :) Approximately when so - i'd know when to do the amp :)?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

So Bulatovic, which of the Balkan states are you from? In my teens I traveled all over Yoguslavia, as it was at the time, and have many happy memories....
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Bulatovic
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Bulatovic »

Belgrade, Serbia :)

Oh, I am so glad to hear that someone has many happy memories from there. Not a lot of people have that view on the ex Yugoslavia.
Any places in particular that you liked?
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

Bulatovic wrote:Oh, sir Leslie, so you are very serious about doing that show?! That's great to hear! :) Approximately when so - i'd know when to do the amp :)?
Early summer ,I hope.
This year :idea: :?:
:lol:
0 x

sub
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by sub »

leslie wrote:so, sub we are neighbours!
I'm in Zagreb.
Oh :) This is very funny, because few minutes (or hours :? ) ago i asked: "where are you from" (in other thread). Ok now i already know :wink: .
8O This meeting would be very nice. Thank you very much your invitation 8) :D . Please let me know, when you already know fixed date. Thanks :wink:
I'm in Budapest (about 340Km from Zagreb).
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

sub wrote:
leslie wrote:so, sub we are neighbours!
I'm in Zagreb.
Oh :) This is very funny, because few minutes (or hours :? ) ago i asked: "where are you from" (in other thread). Ok now i already know :wink: .
8O This meeting would be very nice. Thank you very much your invitation 8) :D . Please let me know, when you already know fixed date. Thanks :wink:
I'm in Budapest (about 340Km from Zagreb).
No problemo :!:
I must arange date with other frends(ampbuilders) from seaside, Zagreb and Slovenia ...but it's nice idea for meeting to be an international gathering.
The place of the crime would be a rock club "Room"...with bar,stage and PA ,owner is friend of mine.... http://udruga-soba.hr/GALERIJA_SOBA.htm

Sorry for a Off topic
:oops:
0 x

pekelnik

Post by pekelnik »

leslie wrote:
Air parcell $99
DHL $157
I'm in Zagreb.
You should try to organize it on Hvar or somewhere... I bet you'd have much better attendance!
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

pekelnik wrote:
leslie wrote:
Air parcell $99
DHL $157
I'm in Zagreb.
You should try to organize it on Hvar or somewhere... I bet you'd have much better attendance!
Yes, when we see hot women in bikini ...who cares for the amps and grille cloth... :lol:
0 x

Nestori
Unrated

Post by Nestori »

Terve mieheen DeeAa!

I live in Finland, too, and I have a uncompleted 36W project running at the moment. I picked up the schematic for Richie's 36W from the Downloads section and made a parts list for it. I spent a couple of weeks in enthusiasm planning all the stuff ready for the project. I ordered all the parts and stuff here from Finland, mostly from Uraltone.com and built everything I could on my own, such as the turretboard, the head cabinet and planned the chassis layout (I asked from my brother to make me a chassis with exact measures). I decided that even if this is my first build I'll do it with honour :D so I didn't save money in the parts and ordered Orange Drops, Mallory 150's, F+T, etc. So far I've tested the PT and it's working fine, it's a Finnish-made transformer from Uraltone. The OT is a Hammond 1615. Tubes will be JJ/Tung Sol. Now I'm just waiting for the tubes so I can measure all the voltages.

I also took free hands to equip my amp with a relay channel switch and an effects loop. Yes, I know that I've ruined my amp with the loop but it's a vital thing for me, but I can always take off the loop if it doesn't fit the amp.

The total price for the project will be about 500e, now I've spent over 400e because I haven't ordered the tubes yet. Patience, patience... indeed.

Hopefully the project will end soon, with good results!
0 x

DeeAa
Unrated

Awwright!

Post by DeeAa »

Terve terve!

Well, my skills in building electronics stuff is rather limited, so I did indeed order the amp ready made. Twas a few weeks ago so I should be getting it within next month sometime, if all goes well.

The 36W cost me 1014 dollars including shipping. It'll also rack up around 200 bucks in customs duties when it comes to Finland, they say. So it _woulda_ been much cheaper to build my own...but...

On the other hand, I know this place where they have an old tube PA amp just lying around. And incidentally it's got 4 EL84's and 5-6 preamp tubes 12ax size but some 57xx glasses it seems. At any rate I'll try to buy it and it'd make a good basis to make a copy of my Ceriatone later on...at least I'd have the ready made amp as a guide - much better than just schematics :-)

Ah can't wait for the Ceria to arrive. Long month to wait...

Cheers,

Dee
0 x

PinkPanther
Unrated

Post by PinkPanther »

Hmm, drtube.com and tubeampdoctor has got some nice parts, and so has Ampmaker. I've ordered some stuff from Ampmaker, and I will later today too.
I'm building a 36-watter too. I've already built an 18-watter,and god knows how many amps I will build :lol:

Good luck!
Niko
0 x