Hammond ao-35 PT- It's big but is it 36 Watt big ?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

TooManyAmps

Hammond ao-35 PT- It's big but is it 36 Watt big ?

Post by TooManyAmps »

I have a couple of these organ amps and a few extra hammond 6BQ5 OT's. So would the stock monster PT support running 4 6BQ5's and a pair of matching OT's ? It looks like it had to power another chassis in the organ, for it's size. It may be a squeeze in the chassis but if I mount them on top and on edge I don't see a packaging problem... Any thoughts...
0 x

Michael
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Michael »

I'm not giving a definitive answer, since I haven't had the morning coffee (which usually results in my spewing giberish), but I've seen those PTs used on all sorts of different Hammond cabs with lots of different tube combintations. Too early and too lazy this morning to look them up, but It would not suprise me in the least if it would work.
0 x

TooManyAmps

Post by TooManyAmps »

The size difference between the PT and OT is pretty astounding. I feel pretty comfortable with the added heater current, but I'm not sure. If it's underrated will it get really hot and run Toomanyamps ? Should I under fuse to be safe. Maybe a one amp slow blow like in the 18 w version ?
0 x

Michael
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Michael »

I've got another amp that used the exact same transformer. It has 10 tubes, including two 6V6's. I think you will be fine.
0 x

unchained

Post by unchained »

Hey TooManyAmps,
You wouldn't happen to be willing to part with any extra OT's or Pt's would you?
I just finished an AO-35 conversion and am dying to do another :wink:
0 x

TooManyAmps

Post by TooManyAmps »

Michael, btw were there any other power tubes ? Do you know what they were ?
0 x

Michael
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Michael »

TooManyAmps wrote:Michael, btw were there any other power tubes ? Do you know what they were ?
2 x 6V6
2 x 12AU7
2 x 6AU6
2 x 6C4
1 x 6BA6
1 x 12AX7

Plus the 5U4 rectifier tube.

Sorry, but I'll need to leave it as an exercise to you or my fellow tube-nerds here to estimate current requirements, as I have to run off to work.

Michael
0 x

TooManyAmps

Post by TooManyAmps »

I never exercise. I just take in those holistic lead and rosin fumes. Rosin is made from pine tree sap (among other things). And who doesn't love trees. Trees are good for you.

I have just gotten the squeal out of my most recent project and posting it on the 18 watt forum. I'm keen to get the 36 watt started. Even though I haven't even played through the 18 yet. Does this sound like a compulsion ?

Unchained- I don't think I have any spare Hammond OT's , sorry, I may have other old iron though.
0 x