Question about 1/2 power switch

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

flatfive

Question about 1/2 power switch

Post by flatfive »

I've tried to understand what's being said about this modification. Someone suggested a layout which I'm enclosing. From what I understand, it lifts the ground of two of the cathodes. Is this correct, and are there problems with doing this? Do you have to change the impedance?
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

Yes, it lifts the cathodes of one pair of tubes. Rather than disconnect their cathodes from ground, I prefer to run them through a 10K 2 watt resistor to ground, this effectively cuts them off and the trickling current through the 10K cathode resistor keeps the tubes happier.

I would change the impedance, though I think others have reported no problems when they didn't.
0 x

flatfive

Post by flatfive »

Can it be a 10k 1/2 watt resistor? That's all I have.
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

1/2 watt might be a bit light. You could try two 22k or 33k 1/2w in parallel or two 4k7 or 6k8 in series.

I don't worry about impedance at half power.
  • - The circuit is spec'd for twice the power you're using, so there in no real strain anywhere
    - The reason you're doing half power is you *want* it to be quieter. Mis-matching the impedance reduces output power even further. :wink:

--mark
0 x

creeble

Post by creeble »

I agree with Mark on the impedance; no big deal. Sounds great. My switch just lifts the cathodes (and changes the cathode resistance) -- not exactly sure why having some current flowing is better than none?

Eric.
0 x

flatfive

Post by flatfive »

I have 2 5k 2W resistors I could put in series.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

creeble wrote:I-- not exactly sure why having some current flowing is better than none?
It helps prevent cathode poisoning, which happens if you run a tube heated but with no voltage across it for very long. There are probably some other good reasons which I can't think of right now.... :)
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

TDuly
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by TDuly »

zaphod_phil wrote:
creeble wrote:I-- not exactly sure why having some current flowing is better than none?
It helps prevent cathode poisoning, which happens if you run a tube heated but with no voltage across it for very long. There are probably some other good reasons which I can't think of right now.... :)
Well, there are many production amps using the half power cathode ground lift without it so 6 of one and a half dozen of another your mileage may vary.
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

With the price of good tubes where it is now, and where it's likely headed, I like to take all the precautions I can.
0 x

flatfive

Post by flatfive »

I'm pretty new to this, so somebody help me with this 10k resistor. Wouldn't I need a separate wire to ground that has the 10k resistor at one end, so that it would trickle when the switch lifts the ground?
0 x

flatfive

Post by flatfive »

Maybe just put the resistor across the switch?
0 x