Weird voltages

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

lasvegasira

Post by lasvegasira »

Would you be willing to repost the schematic for the reverb with the changes on it? I'm pretty sure I'm getting what you said needed to be corrected, but I want to be sure so I don't blow anything up. :D

Thanks!
Dave
0 x

Nestori
Unrated

Post by Nestori »

So here's a short clip. There's a small click in the beginning, it's the standby switch, and then hummmmmmmm... You can hear how I turn the gain, volume tone etc. and then when I turn more volume the annoying oscillating begins.
0 x

Nestori
Unrated

Post by Nestori »

Yup, I've done some research and stuff.

I love the amp. It sounds just perfect for me, but the hum is so irritating and I can't turn the master volume louder than 8 o'clock and the squealing begins. I tried to poke the wires with a chopstick and checked some other things too. So I think that:

1. I have too many wires crossing other wires and the tube sockets. When I moved couple of the wires closer to the PI-tube socket the nasty oscillating began. Also there were areas where the hum wasn't so loud. What was the trick to change the PI grid wires?

2. My wires are too long, so I have to chop chop chop around.

3. I have to check my channel-switching unit, because when I tapped the board with the stick, the hum was nearly away.

4. I think I'll remove the whole FX-loop, the delay and other effects sounds great in front of the amp!

5. I also have to check my solderings. This time with more concentration and time.

6. Plus when I run the amp for over half an hour, the PT gets very hot. I can touch it but it's hot, so should I be worried?

7. AND The hum goes COMPLETELY away when I remove the PI tube. I tried to remove the other tubes but the PI was only one with the anti-hum reaction!

Tips and hints are welcome!
0 x

Nestori
Unrated

Post by Nestori »

And oh yes! The hum... what hum?

Finally, the amp shows no signs of hum! I removed the channel switch-unit and the fx loop and twisted some wires. I also did the cascade-mod without the switch (think I'll add one more input for the normal channel and the cascade switch) and now I have a roaring monster on top of my speaker cabinet! The tone is awesome, I can play anything from jazz to heavy riffs with this baby! It cleans up so smoothly when you roll down your guitars volume and when on full steam, the power is unstandable! With a tele you get lovely harmonics and a very dynamic tone! This won't be the last amp I'll build! I'll have to clean up the mess a little, rewire some parts and give the amp a finishing touch! The top cabinet is empty and waiting for a companion... :D

And thanks to morcey2 and all of you for your patience and help! I learned a lot while building my frankenstein!

Thanks!

-Nestori
0 x