Hammond 4x 6v6 amp for conversion -Type HR 1A or KR 1A

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

TooManyAmps

Hammond 4x 6v6 amp for conversion -Type HR 1A or KR 1A

Post by TooManyAmps »

I'm looking to build a 36 watt ef86 lite. Would this Hammond chassis be a good donor for this project ? It has octal tubes but I can use those too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMMOND-TYPE-K-B-JE ... 1|294%3A50
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

Wow, that's a lot of iron. I think you could make it work, despite it's octal sockets and the incredible weight, limited space and de-soldering you'd have to do.

Honestly, for that money, I'd rather just buy a blank chassis and a couple transformers and start from scratch.
0 x

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kedsinger »

I agree with Alexo. Those 2 chokes are overkill for a 36 and a lot of un-necessary weight IMHO. I have much better amps for around $100 to start with.
Keith
0 x

TooManyAmps

Post by TooManyAmps »

Kedslinger, what $100 amps do you suggest starting with ?
The shipping on these are hefty even if I don't end up using both the chokes.
Funny, I wanted to use this chassis for the space as there isn't much room in the AO-35 for much more than the lite-est lite. I just got an AO-43. More space but a smaller PT than the AO-35. I still contend that the -35 PT is way underrated.

BTW a good set of trannies like Moose's and a decent chassis + choke+ S/H

$165 + +65 + $40 +12 = $282.

Hammonds are quite a bit cheaper than buying new.
I throw everything else away except the poly caps and power resistors.

I have enough iron to sink a ship but so much is 400v-0-400v.
Time to clean out some closets.
0 x

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kedsinger »

Do you want me to look around at home tonight. I have a crap load! My addiction had taken over for a little while. I'll sell for what I paid.... sometimes I paid $35 and some $100+. I do have some good size loaded chassis. Bell carilions,dukanes,strombergs,bogens,etc......
0 x

TooManyAmps

Post by TooManyAmps »

Yes, Ideally I'm looking for something to run 4 el84's, a choke and 2-3 preamp tubes. 6V6's are fine too. The lower the V+ the better. I have had bad luck with some of the flimsy Bogens, (CHA-35) and the like. Allied's 6L6 amps sometimes have notched chassis and horizontal tubes making them really too deep. Voltages seem higher on old PA gear too. If you think you can scrounge something up send me a PM . I would be happy to see what's available.
0 x

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kedsinger »

I think the voltages are higher because the design needed more headroom being that they were used for public address. I'll shoot you some of my overstock(LOL) when I get the chance.
0 x

octal
Unrated

Post by octal »

Toomanyamps, keep a lookout on Craigslist. Old Hammond stuff comes up all the time. Some is even given away. Hammond made some tone cabinets that will have what you're looking for. The Hammond schematics will even list the voltage and current specifications of the transformers. And as always, destroy-all-hammonds, but save the earth and recycle the iron, speakers and tubes.
0 x