Capacitor Substitution?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Boomstrike
Unrated

Capacitor Substitution?

Post by Boomstrike »

:? Hello everyne. My name is Steve and I am building my first amplifier. I studied posts and schematics until I felt confident I could pull this off. I ordered my parts from the richie plexi V5 schematic and forgot one part. The 500pF capacitor between the Master Volume and the tone control. I have Various extra resistors and a couple of small caps(.0022 uF) laying around.

This build is a christmas gift to my son-in-law and there is not enough time to order this part. Could anyone please give me suggestions for a substitution. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
0 x

jckid66
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jckid66 »

if you know the voltage rating of the missing cap you "might" be able to get it at radio shack ( now ducking for cover after that suggestion 8O )

Bill
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

That is one opt, if you still have a local electronics distributor that is open to the public, you may be able to get it there.

It will work without the cap, the tone may be a little different, as that "bypass" cap is missing. Who knows, with it NOT in the circuit, you might like it, and then you might not.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

Boomstrike
Unrated

Post by Boomstrike »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the voltage would atleast be 170volts according to the voltage chart in the 36 watt download section on pin 1 of V1. It then should go higher when it picks up more V on its way to the volume pot? I thought this part is a coupling cap not a bypass? Anyhoo. I appreciate the suggestions. I will be working today and will not be able to reply till tomorrow. Thanks Steve.
0 x

Andrew4566
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Andrew4566 »

Rad Shack has a grab bag of mostly ceramic capacitors, these will work if you get lucky and find the right values there. Remember you can parallel them to total the approx. 500pf.

-Andy
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

I may be wrong then... dunno... is it wired in to one leg of the volume pot, and then to the center lug of the same pot? or is it wired to one leg of the pot and then goes somewhere else that doesn't equate to the above connection? (Don't have the schem in front of me.) If the wiring equates to my first description, it is like a "Brite" cap which is a form of bypass. If it works like the second, then it is definately a coupling cap.
IF it is a coupling cap, I am in error and you can't just skip it.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kedsinger »

Where do you live? Maybe someone on here lives close. If I do, I'll give you a cap.
Keith
0 x

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

Where do you live? Maybe someone on here lives close. If I do, I'll give you a cap.
Keith
I live in south Texas, I'll do the same if I'm closer to you. It might get there in time if gotten in the mail tomorrow.

Ken
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Shrapnel wrote:I may be wrong then... dunno... is it wired in to one leg of the volume pot, and then to the center lug of the same pot? or is it wired to one leg of the pot and then goes somewhere else that doesn't equate to the above connection? (Don't have the schem in front of me.) If the wiring equates to my first description, it is like a "Brite" cap which is a form of bypass. If it works like the second, then it is definately a coupling cap.
IF it is a coupling cap, I am in error and you can't just skip it.
It's the cap for the Treble tone control. So the amp will work without it, but will lack treble.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Boomstrike
Unrated

Post by Boomstrike »

Thank You for the suggestions. I found an electronics store aboutt a half hour away that will be open at noon today. I will go take a peek and report back. Will definitly post pics of my build when done.

Steve
0 x

Boomstrike
Unrated

Post by Boomstrike »

Just updating. The store had what I needed. Thanks all for the generous offers. Will put up a gallery with picks when finished in a day or two.

Steve
0 x