New 36 watt build using 6v6's and a 5879 preamp tube

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Jcat5503
Unrated

New 36 watt build using 6v6's and a 5879 preamp tube

Post by Jcat5503 »

I am thinking about doing a buildup of a 36 watter. I want to run a quad of 6v6's in the output section. Also, Instead if the usual ef86 on the vox style side i would like to use a 5879 preamp tube. I own a /13 that uses this tube and i love it. I want to make it work with the creamy overdrive tones of the 6v6's.

I'm looking for a tranny set. Any one know some good choices?

Any ideas?

Cheers!
0 x

snoof
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by snoof »

any OT that can handle 30-40 watts and matches 4K to your speakers will work great. Lots of choices available. GDS, Hammond, Weber, Allen etc. You can also use an OT speced for 8K but your taps will shift down, 8ohm becomes 4ohm etc.
0 x

Jcat5503
Unrated

Post by Jcat5503 »

okay thanks!

which do you thinkn would provide the best bass response?
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Jcat5503 wrote:okay thanks!

which do you thinkn would provide the best bass response?
If you want the best bass response use one of those big Marshall, Hiwatt, or Fender Bassman 50-watt OTs rather than a smaller one.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, it's generally true that bigger transformers = better bass. Heyboer does a nice beefy 36W transformer set specifically, with a 4k OT primary, which works well with either 6V6s or EL84s. I've used them myself.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

zaphod_phil wrote:Yes, it's generally true that bigger transformers = better bass. Heyboer does a nice beefy 36W transformer set specifically, with a 4k OT primary, which works well with either 6V6s or EL84s. I've used them myself.
That would be a good choice. Who's selling them?

The main thing is to avoid the common 30-40 Watt OTs that are Bandmaster/Super types. I actually love the way those sound but the "best bass response" they do not have.

How about trying one of these?
http://edcorusa.com/Products/BrowseSeri ... eriesID=32

I haven't used any of their CXPP transformers, but I've been VERY happy with their GXPP series. Plus they're relatively cheap and made in the USA.
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

I used Hammond's AC30 replacement OT on my last 36 watter and it's fabulous to say the least.Huge OT.8 and 16 ohm taps too.

Alternately I've used a hammond 1650G with great results.They have 4,8,16 ohm taps with the new 'easy wire' option.They aren't ultralinear and they sound great.Very,very nice tones.6.6k primary.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

I have a spare Edcor power transformer here that would work very well for a 4x6V6 amp.

Specs are:
300-0-300 @ 200mA
6.3V @ 4A
5V @ 3A

It's a stand-up style and has pretty dark-blue end bells. Send me an email if you wanna buy it: krettere@gmail.com. I've been trying to clean out some of my spare parts lately :).
0 x

TUBEDUDE
Unrated

quad 6v6

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Hey jcat, any progress on this? I'd be interested to know. The pentode you
mentioned is getting some use in several designs. Ill bet it will be sweet with that power section. Cathode biased right?
0 x