New 36watt build - no sound - no hum - no good - help please

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

WarrenH

New 36watt build - no sound - no hum - no good - help please

Post by WarrenH »

I am building a ceriatone 36w EF86 using Shinrock trannies and I am getting no sound - no hum either. Does anyone have a way to check the OT to see if it is defective - I fear the primary may have been colored wrong. I had the red wire as center tap on the primary. But using an ohm meter I get equal resistance across coils on a different wire. Does anyone have a way to check using an ohm meter or otherwise whether the OT is blown?

Thanks all in advance.

:(
0 x
Take life one note at a time!

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

The OT is the last thing I'd suspect.Go over your wiring.If it was wired right it would be working.
You have likely done something wrong and you need to go over the layout with a highlighter and make sure of every single connection before making assumptions about a bad OT.

Voltages are necessary for troubleshooting as well.
0 x

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH »

Thanks for the reply - I am going to make a probe to see where the signal stops. If this works I will post how I did it for future troubleshooters.
0 x

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH »

I thought I would reply to this as I have this amp working after a long time trying to get another Shinrock OT from Germany - waste of time and money I must say. I ended up putting in a West Labs OT which sounds very good. My problem was I was using the 8 ohm jack to test to a 8 ohm speaker of course and I had a bad solder joint I found this after connecting a speaker to the 16 ohm jack and I got sound. Bottom line, bad solder joint on the 8 ohm jack. I did blow the OT initially so I had two problems to fight with. No on to making it sound its best.
0 x