36watt project superlight tmb

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36watt project superlight tmb

Post by menger »

Im working on basicly ZP superlight tmb 36 watt , Theres a few things im not sure on the power amp. Screen resistors, can i share the 100 ohm R just run 2 wires off each? and the 8.2k grid resistor can i run 2 wires off each of those as well? Also for the cathiod resistor bypass cap should it be shared or should each R get a cap? and last i was looking at ceriatone 1/2 powerswitch dont understand how it works. thanks mark
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

It's best to treat it as two 18W power stages in parallel. So you you have two push-pull pairs, each with their shared cathode resistor, grid and screen resistors. The only place they combine is at the PI and the anode connections to the OT.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

What about sharing all powertubes with one large resistor, ac30 show 50 ohms that sounds pretty hot, im getting right about 300v on plates, i have a 75ohm r 25watts i was thinking about trying, whats the downfalls of using one shared resistor? i have 2 150ohm resistors now. mark
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

Ive finshed this amp its not a lot louder than a 18watter but man can it push some air, and thomp, i used rocksmumbles values on v1 and a shared 68 ohm 25watt cathiod resistor, i also used vintage mustards and sozo caps,, preamp voltages seem a little low and need a little tweaking or maybe not, less than 140v powertube voltage plates 307, 300 screens with a 5u4, with a 5ar4 raising that about 10v it should be just right, i realy like the sound of this amp tonestack is very useful, next id like to try this with some big bottles kt66 i think would make this a really nice stage amp
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

...its not a lot louder than a 18watter but man can it push some air, and thomp,..
That's exactly what you get with a 36W. :thumbsup:
...next id like to try this with some big bottles kt66 i think would make this a really nice stage amp
I would recommend EL34s, as a pair of those will work real nicely with 36W iron.
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

Quote:"Ive finshed this amp its not a lot louder than a 18watter"

Yeah,right. My 36 watters are so loud I pretty much have to use master volumes.That 3db sure kicks some serious ass with ear drums!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, but 18Ws are real loud too. And 3dB *isn't* a big difference in volume level - that's basic science.And menger's findings match pretty much what other 36W builders have said, going right back to Graydon and Richie - ie it's more about an increase in the clean range than of the sheer loudness. It's the same story when you go from a 50W Plexi to a 100W. I also have no doubt that your 36W amps are real loud, but I have to guess there's something more involved than just the 18W vs 36W thing.
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

I agree with you zp, The 36 is all the best things of a 18 with more body, I love them both, As far as which is louder, Thats up to the person playing the amp, If i wanna have a little more when i jam ill use the 36 with a 2 or 4 12 cab, when i go to bro inlaws to jam rock ill take one of my lights, If i go trying out new guitars ill bring my one of my classic clones, They all sound awsome and turn heads when i bring mine out, and if i wanna be real real loud ill just hook all the amps up for a wall of marshalls, really everytime you play you should have a marshall left a marshall right and one right behind you, anyways the superlight makes for a excellent 36 watt :D
0 x