TMB channel question both on 18/36 watters

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

markk916
Unrated

TMB channel question both on 18/36 watters

Post by markk916 »

Hi there,... I have some issues with the TMB channel... it seems that the amp becomes unstable at near max volume settings in the pre-amp... I get a squeal like it is trying to suck in every frequency out of the air... on one build it came apart in the lower frequencies... any suggestions or advice here? Thank you all so much. The 36 watt layout I have been trying to use is Richie Halls V2 version...
0 x

guitar-rocker
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by guitar-rocker »

Groundind issues and shielded cables are the first place to look.
0 x

markk916
Unrated

Post by markk916 »

I do have a home-made Variable Voltage regulator that when I turn the voltage down... the issue stops... I guess I will start there,.. perhaps try re-locating the ground on the VVR...?? Any thoughts...
0 x

myker
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by myker »

microphonic tubes, wire shielding, tube shield being off, and various other things can cause these types of issues, but if you have it on many of your builds I would say it may be shielding/lead-dress or grounding issues, assuming that you use a similar layout on all of your builds.

As a good precaution, I use shielded cable on all signal wiring in the preamp; this would include from the jacks and to the volume/master pots, everywhere, totally worth the time.

http://gdsamps.com/?page_id=10
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

My guess is lead dress. How about posting a picture to look at
0 x