new build 36lite with vvr

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

new build 36lite with vvr

Post by chaliapin »

Hi all, just ordered parts from steve at valvepower to build a 36lite with vvr, does anyone have agood layout/ build pictures/ general information. I'm a beginner not knowing much about electronics and having so far just built the ampmaker pp-18 which went without major problems. Any help/ advice/ links appreciated,

cheers all.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: new build 36lite with vvr

Post by chaliapin »

I'm doing some serious self education here but would still really like to see a 36w lite layout if anyone has such a thing anywhere?
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

ok, looks like I'm not gonna find one, gonna have to draw one. Gonna leave out the vvr for the time being. If anyone even has any pics of board and wiring that would really help me out, I've got a 36w lite schem and the ritchie hall layout but there's a lot i don't need on there. Valve rectified by the way,

thanks for any help,
Mike
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

So the tenth anniversary of buying the parts for this is coming up so I thought I'd try to build it...

Would still love to see a layout if anyone has one.

I want spring reverb, probably in a pedal. Out in front or do I need to figure an effects loop or should I add that when I've got the beast up and running?

Also Steve never sent my the vvr, any suggestions on a supplier and best way/ place to fit?

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

chaliapin wrote: ↑
Fri 10/21/22 5:19 am
So the tenth anniversary of buying the parts for this is coming up so I thought I'd try to build it...

Would still love to see a layout if anyone has one.

I want spring reverb, probably in a pedal. Out in front or do I need to figure an effects loop or should I add that when I've got the beast up and running?

Also Steve never sent my the vvr, any suggestions on a supplier and best way/ place to fit?

Thanks all.

Hi Mike,

I'd suggest starting by looking at our 36W section in the downloads: viewtopic.php?t=24432

We don't have anything specific to what you thought you were purchasing, but chances are, what we have listed is better.

If you want a 2 knob "lite" variation, I would suggest looking at the preamp from the 18W Lite 2b(ish), and the power amp section from any of the 36W variations that match your power tube choice.

If you're looking for a TMB lite, there is one in the 36W link above.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks Josh, I need to print them out so I can study them properly. I built the ampmaker 18w for my sister around ten years ago. Two knobs, fantastic. Basically looking for the same with more headroom and a place to stick reverb. I love the breakup but I love the cleans too! I want to play at decent volume at the edge of breakup with humbuckers as well as single coil.

0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Sounds like a pretty straight forward project. Just build the preamp of the lite2b and go from the wiper of the volume pot to the PI of the 36W, after the .01uf coupling cap. And the reverb implementing can be borrowed from the 18W Tremolo TMB reverb.

In a few months I'm doing a SE version of the Tremolo TMB Reverb, but I'm going to try it with a 12DW7 tube to push the tank a little more... an experiment obviously 😏

FWIW I won't build a 36W ever again without mastervolume type2.. it's just too loud from the start on the volume pot..
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Im not allowed to access the 36w tmb reverb download. Do I have to ask nicely?

0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Fri 10/21/22 3:28 pm
Im not allowed to access the 36w tmb reverb download. Do I have to ask nicely?

Honestly.. I tried the VVR route once.. won't do it again. IMHO the type 2 LarMar master volume works great!
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Really? I thought vvr was the dog's dinglies? The 18w I built had a 3 way switch for 18-9-2 watts. 9 was great, 2 good but a bit fizzy.

0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Sat 10/22/22 4:07 am
Really? I thought vvr was the dog's dinglies? The 18w I built had a 3 way switch for 18-9-2 watts. 9 was great, 2 good but a bit fizzy.

Some like the VVR, I don't. But it's pretty easy to implement if you build from scratch. I like the type 2 mv better, but it only gives overdrive from the preamp and PI.
And I know what you mean with the 2W setting on that Primary Windings transformer, that will be the same result with a VVR.. just saying .. give the type 2 a try, regardless of what the purists on power tube overdrive say.
You will thank me for bringing it up. All you need is a dual gang 500k audio pot, 2 4.7M resistors and some shielded wire
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Ok, I worked out I couldn't access downloads from tapatalk but I can from the browser...

There's quite a lot of variations been developed!

What I liked about the 18 lite was the musical and responsive simplicity of it. I didn't so much mind whether it was getting great over drive at noon ear splitting levels. Once you get past raunch into rock I lose interest. I want to build the 36 for a little extra headroom and a little extra challenge.

Im thinking for a beginner I should build the lite with mv as suggested being as I have nearly all the parts, then consider mods for reverb/ effects loop etc. Or will I be cursing trying to retro fit instead of doing it right first time?

0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Sat 10/22/22 3:33 pm
Ok, I worked out I couldn't access downloads from tapatalk but I can from the browser...

There's quite a lot of variations been developed!

What I liked about the 18 lite was the musical and responsive simplicity of it. I didn't so much mind whether it was getting great over drive at noon ear splitting levels. Once you get past raunch into rock I lose interest. I want to build the 36 for a little extra headroom and a little extra challenge.

Im thinking for a beginner I should build the lite with mv as suggested being as I have nearly all the parts, then consider mods for reverb/ effects loop etc. Or will I be cursing trying to retro fit instead of doing it right first time?

Fx loop is perfectly doable afterwards, but reverb should be implemented immediately when you think you will want it some day. It's a really sensitive part of the circuit and you don't want a mess with that part... believe me.
Or you can do like me, build a stand alone Unit and run it through the fx loop
20220929_193546.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Ok, still very much at the head scratching stage looking through schematics and layouts.

My faceplate was marked for the vvr with a click to turn the power on so that won't suit the MV so well. Not critical but still be nice to use it. On the other hand i don't actually have the vvr...

Anyway, definitely want the FX loop for outboard reverb in the future so going to try to figure that in on the schematic and layout from the get go.

I'll post my layout draft for perusal before I start hammering turrets...

1 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

So im reading rob's website, mostly 'how amps work ' and trying to work through my schematic but not finding it that easy. Does anyone have an annotated 18 or 36w schematic labeling components like 'grid stopper' 'coupling cap' etc?

0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Wed 10/26/22 1:55 am
So im reading rob's website, mostly 'how amps work ' and trying to work through my schematic but not finding it that easy. Does anyone have an annotated 18 or 36w schematic labeling components like 'grid stopper' 'coupling cap' etc?

I don't think so? But ask a couple questions and find the answers.

Where is a grid-stopper resistor connected?

What does a coupling cap do?

You might find some helpful info on http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/

For example: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/gridstopper.html

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

That's a good answer! I learned a lot from Josh, but what I value the most is that he mostly does not answer, and pushes you in the right direction to teach yourself by studying the matter. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
A few years ago I knew nothing... but now I'm able to do the stuff I need to do.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote: ↑
Wed 10/26/22 2:10 pm
That's a good answer! I learned a lot from Josh, but what I value the most is that he mostly does not answer, and pushes you in the right direction to teach yourself by studying the matter. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
A few years ago I knew nothing... but now I'm able to do the stuff I need to do.
...and you're able to help others along the way. ;)
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Ive been reading which bit does what like mad. I just can't always look back at the schematic and find what I've just been reading about.

Barry at amp maker has kindly shared his not in production pp36 v1 layout. Don't want to post it here as I don't think it's public but I assume I can use it as is?

Lastly I need new tip(s) for soldering iron. The turret video has a wedge shaped one. Do I also need a smaller one for Jack sockets etc?

0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Thu 10/27/22 9:31 am
Ive been reading which bit does what like mad. I just can't always look back at the schematic and find what I've just been reading about.

Barry at amp maker has kindly shared his not in production pp36 v1 layout. Don't want to post it here as I don't think it's public but I assume I can use it as is?

Lastly I need new tip(s) for soldering iron. The turret video has a wedge shaped one. Do I also need a smaller one for Jack sockets etc?

We can't account for a schematic or layout made by anybody else, especially if we haven't seen it. You can use it, but if you can't post it, then we can't help troubleshoot as easily. You would need to contact them for help, or ask permission to post it here.

I use a 2.4mm chisel tip for almost everything. If your iron is decent quality, with temperature control, you should be fine with that.

This list includes a lot of the equipment / supplies I use: viewtopic.php?t=25173

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale