New 36W build, guidance needed

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: New 36W build, guidance needed

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Glad to see it's working! I'm building into a Peavey VK112 combo case, but the original chassis is gone. It's been a challenge to build a chassis this size and to fabricate a front panel almost 500mm (19.5") long. I finished the engraving on front and rear panels a couple days ago, but then my computer crashed. I'm dead in the water until I fix it.

Anyway, I was just wondering where you found the long terminal strips you're using. I have a good stock of terminal strips, but nothing as long as those. That would be handy. Also, did you add the pop rivets holding the parts of the chassis together? If so, are they aluminum or stainless?

Jack
0 x

Henrik76

Post by Henrik76 »

The pop rivets are aluminium.
The terminal strips are 9-lug items that I found on ebay. Check item no 193375184021.

Cheers!
Henrik
1 x

Henrik76

Post by Henrik76 »

Matchless-inspired master volume and treble cut wired up and working well. Sweet-sounding tremolo added to the 5789 channel. :P
20210115_002035.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Henrik76

Post by Henrik76 »

I was going to attach a **** sound demo, but for some reason, the file format was invalid
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Henrik76 wrote:
Fri 01/15/21 5:14 am
I was going to attach a **** sound demo, but for some reason, the file format was invalid
Post it on youtube or another media sharing service, and share the link here.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Henrik76

Post by Henrik76 »

Ok. I recorded it on my phone, not using video, so it's not really compatible with YouTube either.
Nevermind, it sounds good though. But there's no way a recording on my phone will portray that anyway, so it's nobody's loss.
I'll upload a schem when I'm all done tweaking.

Cheers!
Henrik
2 x

Henrik76

Post by Henrik76 »

Hiss and static turned out to be mostly caused by bad tubes. Some new tung-sol 12ax7s and a different nos 5879 cut the noise by more than half. Replacing the first stage grid stoppers with lower value, higher wattage and better quality resistors did the rest. It's not dead quiet, but better than many new factory built amps I've come across.
Resistor quality is actually of great importance. Be warned that many cheap and pretty metal films don't have real copper leads, but plated steel instead. This is asking for noise issues.
I'm waiting for some new input jacks and I have to do something to spruce-up and correctly label the controls, but other than that, I think I'm done. A very fine amp, if I dare say so myself. :)
2 x