New 36W tremolo TMB project

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: New 36W tremolo TMB project

Post by JMPGuitars »

Looks great!
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Don't think this needs EL34 tubes imho. But I will try them anyway... when they arrive.
This thing kicks @$$ bigtime... WOW!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xss58q6mazmhq ... e.m4a?dl=0
20210408_125742.jpg
20210408_142725.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Josh...one thing I changed compared to my 18W. I put in a 9AB2C1B tank. It's medium decay ... I don't like the long decay on these amps. They tend to make feedback and hollow. The medium equalizes things better to my ears.
Do you reckon my old G12h30 would be safe in this amp? It sounds a lot nicer
Edit: never mind that.i put the classic lead 80 in it and that's what it needed. More low end and lower mids. Just wonderful! Creamy and lush! The oddest aspect is that I really think the 6L6 tubes do better OD than the EL84. I always thought it was the other way around.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Thu 04/08/21 8:16 am
Josh...one thing I changed compared to my 18W. I put in a 9AB2C1B tank. It's medium decay ... I don't like the long decay on these amps. They tend to make feedback and hollow. The medium equalizes things better to my ears.
Edit: never mind that.i put the classic lead 80 in it and that's what it needed. More low end and lower mids. Just wonderful! Creamy and lush! The oddest aspect is that I really think the 6L6 tubes do better OD than the EL84. I always thought it was the other way around.
I use medium or long decay, either sound good to me. But you can also adjust the dwell resistor (1M, sometimes replaced by a pot) to compensate if there is too much.

Better to you, sure. It's personal taste kinda stuff. Now try it out with EL34s and see which you like better.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 04/08/21 3:57 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Thu 04/08/21 8:16 am
I use medium or long decay, either sound good to me. But you can also adjust the dwell resistor (1M, sometimes replaced by a pot) to compensate if there is too much.

Better to you, sure. It's personal taste kinda stuff. Now try it out with EL34s and see which you like better.
Indeed.. on my 18W I added a dwell pot instead of the 1M resistor. But it's not the same as a medium decay tank. But hey, now I have both huh 😉
Yeah I’m curious about them EL34's. But it sounds really great already.. so I wonder what the 34s will do.
1 x