Determine output power

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Determine output power

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Thu 04/29/21 2:00 pm
You know, a more basic issue about all this has to do with the generator itself. I've seen a lot of generators that don't have a suitable attenuator for working at these levels (musical instrument input). Ideally, the output of the signal or function generator would be variable down to 1mV or less. Many are only useful if the work is essentially line level, and the output is only easily adjustable in the range of maybe 100mV to several volts. Also, most generators are rated with a 50 ohm or 600 ohm output impedance. Attaching them into the input of a typical musical instrument amp, which is nearly an open circuit, causes the generator's output level to increase even more. Some generators have an internal load that can be switched in, but some don't. The latter type need to be terminated externally, and that means you can't use a simple adapter. What's needed is a box with an input jack, an output jack and a switch for 600 ohm and 50 ohm terminations. It might also need to have a switched divider network (attenuator) to make the generator's output useable. If output level accuracy isn't important (or if it will always be checked with a scope when testing), a 100K linear pot can replace the divider.

Jack
I don't think that kind of accuracy is too important in this case. There's such a broad range of input levels from guitars, that going from 100mV to 300mV is perfectly reasonable. It's probably worth testing the input level before it gets amplified to see what the actual levels are, regardless of what the signal generator says, and maybe compare that to a couple guitars on hand. In some cases, testing levels is required anyway, like the Tenma unit on my list (since there's no display to determine any amplitude claims). That said, while the Tenma unit is acceptable, the Siglent units I have allow for much finer tuning. The inbuilt AWG in my scope allows you to go as low as 4mVpp. That's well below any useful voltage for a guitar amp. It even allows setting amplitude to 100ths of a mV, not that I would in this case, but it's cool:
SDS2504X Plus_PNG_137.png
This inbuilt AWG is less robust than their standalone unit I have (SDG2042X)...but it's more than I generally need, so the SDG2042X usually sits in the box. 😂 Ha! That reminds me, I have another one that works well too. A UNI-T UTG932E. The UTG932E goes down to 2mVpp, but can't do any decimal places in the mV range, though it does go in increments of 1mV.

You're absolutely right for more sensitive equipment, but why be concerned with something as variable as guitar stuff? Test some vintage strat pickups and compare them to some modern high-output ceramic humbuckers and see what kind of range you get.

Thanks,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Josh, my point was that many analog bench generators have a minimum output level that's too high for this test. They don't go to zero, and if they do, the pot is so touchy just as it comes off the rest that's it's not usable at these levels. I think the minimum level from my Wavetek function generator is 1/2 volt or so. It can't be used with either a phono preamp or a guitar amp without an external attenuator. This is a common issue.

Jack
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Bieworm wrote:
Thu 04/29/21 3:42 pm
Anyway, if I am to believe the tube bias calculator the amp is near 40W dissipation. Dunno if the 36W OT is allowing that to happen, but I'm not taking that risk.
The output of an amp is often significantly less than the specified output of the tubes themselves. Transformer losses and power supply sag eat up a lot more RMS power than you might think. Too bad you're not in the States, I'd be interested in that 30W for a spare. :)

Jack
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Fri 04/30/21 12:19 am
Bieworm wrote:
Thu 04/29/21 3:42 pm
Anyway, if I am to believe the tube bias calculator the amp is near 40W dissipation. Dunno if the 36W OT is allowing that to happen, but I'm not taking that risk.
The output of an amp is often significantly less than the specified output of the tubes themselves. Transformer losses and power supply sag eat up a lot more RMS power than you might think. Too bad you're not in the States, I'd be interested in that 30W for a spare. :)

Jack
Haha.. yeah right. Unfortunately I have some 18 watt and 24 watt amps too. So it's hardly a spare 😄😄😄
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

39A2584C-810D-4591-80F5-0D33E9C0E0C7.jpeg
So Jack & Josh,have I just wasted £24 on this? I looked for 1Khz sine and low distortion and did’nt consider minimum output.
Type: Function Signal Generator
Frequency Range: Sine wave 1Hz-500kHz, Other waveforms 1Hz-20kHz

Resolution: 1Hz

Output Waveform: Sine, square, triangular, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth

Sine Wave Distortion: <1% below 1kHz, <0.5% above 1kHz

Output Amplitude: Maximum ± 10V(P-P)

Output Impedance: 50Ω

DC Offset: Maximum ± 10V, with shutdown function

There are filters that can be turned on and off, which can well adapt to sine and pulse waveform output

Power: DC3.5-10V

It is recommended to choose DC5V when using adapter, and 3.7V lithium battery when battery powered

Machine Size: Approx. 12.5 x 8 x 3.5cm / 4.9 x 3.1 x 1.4in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Fri 04/30/21 12:10 am
Josh, my point was that many analog bench generators have a minimum output level that's too high for this test. They don't go to zero, and if they do, the pot is so touchy just as it comes off the rest that's it's not usable at these levels. I think the minimum level from my Wavetek function generator is 1/2 volt or so. It can't be used with either a phono preamp or a guitar amp without an external attenuator. This is a common issue.

Jack
I'm not disagreeing with you on that. My point was that there's plenty of modern generators (including some analog devices) that give much better control. I know you're old school, and that's cool, but you should give some new toys a try. ;)

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Fri 04/30/21 3:49 am
39A2584C-810D-4591-80F5-0D33E9C0E0C7.jpeg
So Jack & Josh,have I just wasted £24 on this? I looked for 1Khz sine and low distortion and did’nt consider minimum output.
It's maybe fine. You would need to test it and see how clean the signal is. I know there are complaints regarding the accuracy of it, but that's not really a big deal. What you would need to do is figure out the correct settings since the display on the device will probably be wrong (unless you mysteriously got a less buggy version). For example, if you set it to 1kHz, 200mVpp, you will need to test and see what the actual reported frequency and Vpp are on your scope before applying the signal to your DUT.

To test it directly with your scope, you'll likely need a 50Ω terminator to connect on the scope side.

All that said, I haven't seen any particularly good reviews for the FG-100 DDS. Mostly people saying it's noisy, and inaccurate.

If you can still return it, and you want a fairly inexpensive device that's much better, look for the Uni-T model I posted above. It's excellent, not just for the price.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Thank’s Josh,too late to return it but waiting for mouser to get some Arcol non-inductive resistors in for the dummy load then I can start testing.hopefully by then Bieworm will have sussed the output power test!
Here’s a snip of my latest project,check out the genuine mullards and add them to something you take your sandwiches to work in!
8824FD8F-4A6F-4635-8E1E-FA7BA4C3BC05.jpeg
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Fri 04/30/21 8:49 am
Thank’s Josh,too late to return it but waiting for mouser to get some Arcol non-inductive resistors in for the dummy load then I can start testing.hopefully by then Bieworm will have sussed the output power test!
Here’s a snip of my latest project,check out the genuine mullards and add them to something you take your sandwiches to work in!
8824FD8F-4A6F-4635-8E1E-FA7BA4C3BC05.jpeg
You may be fine with it. Test it out as I mentioned above. You don't need a dummy load yet, you just need the 50 ohm terminator to connect it to your scope before you use it with a DUT. IIRC, the noise was more of an issue at higher frequencies, so you might be okay at a 1k sine wave. Test it and you'll know. Worst case, it wouldn't be a huge loss if it doesn't work out.

I hope you can still afford lunch after getting those Mullards. ;)
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Are you ready for this, the EZ81 is NOS and the ECL’s test very strong on both the triodes and pentodes and closely matched.
£38.70 including delivery,cheaper than new crap JJ’s!
2 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 04/30/21 7:41 am

I'm not disagreeing with you on that. My point was that there's plenty of modern generators (including some analog devices) that give much better control. I know you're old school, and that's cool, but you should give some new toys a try. ;)
I'm old school? Aren't you building stuff with vacuum tubes?? Ha, ha, ha. My bench includes a PC with a sound card that can measure THD/IMD into the low triple decimal places and output just about any signal type you could want. The discussion isn't about me, though. It's about using a generator to measure amplifier output power. The issues and procedures I described apply to many generators. If they don't apply to yours (or other readers), please just ignore it. :)

Jack
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Fri 04/30/21 8:49 am
Thank’s Josh,too late to return it but waiting for mouser to get some Arcol non-inductive resistors in for the dummy load
You absolutely don't need non-inductive resistors for this work. NONE of the high power loads on my bench are non-inductive. This creates no issues whatsoever for testing below 100 kHz.

Check this place out, and remember you can series/parallel multiple resistors to get the exact value you want.

https://www.surplussales.com/homenew.html#Resistors

Jack
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Fri 04/30/21 12:25 pm
I'm old school? Aren't you building stuff with vacuum tubes?? Ha, ha, ha.
Hahahahaha touché!
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

i don't have the technical experience/background that you obviously have Jack so thank's for confirming the "non-inductive" issue,someone else said that as well but i was unsure which to buy.also those non-inductives are expensive,£20 here in the UK for an arcol 8 ohm 100W!
2 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Fri 04/30/21 10:05 am
the ECL’s test very strong on both the triodes and pentodes and closely matched.
Your amp would actually sound better if they weren't matched. This ain't Hi-Fi! :D
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

s-l1600 (4).jpg
this is the donor amp for the transformers ZP,valve!stereo!! HiFi!!! "Jack's getting excited now" as for the close match,i can work on that if needed 82/100K on the phase plates or even bias the pentodes individually,early days and i'll start a new post for it.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Sat 05/01/21 6:22 pm
geoff 1965 wrote:
Fri 04/30/21 10:05 am
the ECL’s test very strong on both the triodes and pentodes and closely matched.
Your amp would actually sound better if they weren't matched. This ain't Hi-Fi! :D
I was waiting for you to say that. 😉
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 05/01/21 7:04 pm
s-l1600 (4).jpg
this is the donor amp for the transformers ZP,valve!stereo!! HiFi!!! "Jack's getting excited now" as for the close match,i can work on that if needed 82/100K on the phase plates or even bias the pentodes individually,early days and i'll start a new post for it.
At this very moment, I'm trying to decide whether my current build should have an AC Balance pot for the LTP. :lol: :lol:

Jack
2 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sat 05/01/21 10:18 pm
geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 05/01/21 7:04 pm
s-l1600 (4).jpg
At this very moment, I'm trying to decide whether my current build should have an AC Balance pot for the LTP. :lol: :lol:

Jack
Just keep in mind that some asymmetry in the PI and power stage increases the amp's warm even-order harmonics. So I strongly recommend you stick with 100k/100k load resistors in the PI, plus non-matched tubes in both the PI and PA. This is a guitar amp (I hope) :)
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

I'm surprised no one is building with the 6J6 for the LTP. They're plentiful, cheap, and balance between sections is usually terrible. :lol:

Jack
1 x