Where to get transformers for 36W

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

_MaGGoT_

Where to get transformers for 36W

Post by _MaGGoT_ »

I've decided to build a 36W, not the 18W 'couse I'd like it to stand a little more volume without distortion.

Is it too risky to build a 36W even if I haven't built a 18W yet and what makes the difference?

The main thing is where to get the right transformers? I've explored Shinrock's page 'couse it's the closest place in the world to get transformers for amplifiers and found nothing about 36W. Do I have to place a custum made order? Please give me few tips so i wount be so... lost.

tnx in advance
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

There seem to be two semi-official sets. Unfortunately, they're both made in the US by Heyboer. Graydon/GDS has a set with a laydown PT and Richie has a set with AC30 PT and choke, and an unique OT. I just sent email to Heyboer for a quote on the three later pieces. When I get an answer, I will post it.

An AC30 OT will probably get you there, as might a multi-tap 50W tweed bassman OT.
0 x

chriswu101
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by chriswu101 »

I already emailed Heyboer and am in the process of building my 36 watt. Heres what you want:

Power transformer : HTS-7042 bumped up to 290-0-290 stand up $80
Output transformer: HTS-7013-1 $75
Choke: HTS 7040 $28

Just email this to him, he'll know what to do (heyboertransform@novagate.net).

You could also email Shinrock, I know that Ingo has sets available. He is always very busy, and I have not heard back from him regarding the 36 watt transformer specifications. I will post again once I hear from him. The set from Heyboer is very nice, and I can personally recommend it. Make SURE you ask him to ship everything at once, if not he'll ship them one at a time, which kills you with shipping costs (happened to me!) . Other than that its all very straight forward. He'll send an invoice with your shipment, then you have 30 days to send a payment.

The 36 watt is my first build also, and I really don't think that it would be harder then the 18 watt in any way. They are both TMB's, and so the layouts are similiar. If you have ANY questions regarding the 36 watt send me an email.

Hope this helps,

Chris
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Yes they are very well built.. i used an AC30 OT on the first 36 watter..and this one i have here,is bumped up to 35 watt OT..the number that you posted..
Nik also has the 36 watt head chassis that these fit on,and the board.
Here is a couple pics of them on the first 36 watter..

Richie
0 x

Strat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Strat »

I see on your layout in the gallery that the PT is marked 315 - 0 - 315, is that correct and if so did you have to reduce the B+ in any way?

Does the GZ34 put out more or less volts for a given input than an EZ81? (wasn't thinking of using an EZ81 BTW!)

And a little off topic (sorry) but did anyone come up with a way to switch between 18W & 36W (I know that some Fender Twins have a switch but have downloaded six schematics and none with it.)

Thanks MarkW
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

"""" see on your layout in the gallery that the PT is marked 315 - 0 - 315, is that correct""""

No that is not correct..should be 290-0-290

The GZ34 works fine for this amp,and gives the correct voltages.

I believe there used to be a half power switch on the old Yahoo site.

Richie
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

I have 36W trannys sets in stock ready to ship. Cost is $150 plus shipping. They're on my parts page here... http://www.gdsamps.com/18wattbuyparts.html

See #15
1 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

The crucial factor is that MaGGot is in Slovenia...what's import duty and shipping going to run him?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Realistically then, he would probably do better to buy an AC30 set from Shinrock in Germany and use that.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

"""buy an AC30 set from Shinrock in Germany and use that. """

Yes Ingo e-mailed me..and i gave him some info and the pics..I think he's getting the mounting size from the chassis that Nik made.. So he can make some of the trannys..Or get an idea of what to make.
I don't know if Nik has the trannys made for this amp.

Richie
0 x

Ingo
Transformer Guru

Post by Ingo »

chriswu101 wrote:I already emailed Heyboer and am in the process of building my 36 watt. Heres what you want:

Power transformer : HTS-7042 bumped up to 290-0-290 stand up $80
Output transformer: HTS-7013-1 $75
Choke: HTS 7040 $28

Just email this to him, he'll know what to do (heyboertransform@novagate.net).

You could also email Shinrock, I know that Ingo has sets available. He is always very busy, and I have not heard back from him regarding the 36 watt transformer specifications. I will post again once I hear from him. The set from Heyboer is very nice, and I can personally recommend it. Make SURE you ask him to ship everything at once, if not he'll ship them one at a time, which kills you with shipping costs (happened to me!) . Other than that its all very straight forward. He'll send an invoice with your shipment, then you have 30 days to send a payment.

The 36 watt is my first build also, and I really don't think that it would be harder then the 18 watt in any way. They are both TMB's, and so the layouts are similiar. If you have ANY questions regarding the 36 watt send me an email.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Hello Chris,

my respond is in your e-mail box :D

Wasn´t not really shure about the footprints of the PT, the chassis of Nik has.

Regards
Ingo
0 x

Coco
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

36W Heyboer Transformer Dimensions

Post by Coco »

For anyone interested, here are some dimensions of 36W stand-up transformers:

Power transformer : HTS-7042 3.75"H X 3.125"W X 3" D
Mounting holes: 2.5"W X 2.4375"D

Output transformer: HTS-7013-1 3.75"H X 3.125"W X 3" D

Choke: HTS 7040 3.25"H X 2.5"W X 2.25" D
Mounting holes: 2"W X 1.75"D

Note: D dimension is estimated

These are all Heyboer made, stand-up style transformers.

DStill looking for the laydown dimensions.
0 x
coco

EBE
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: 36W Heyboer Transformer Dimensions

Post by EBE »

Coco wrote:For anyone interested, here are some dimensions of 36W stand-up transformers:

Power transformer : HTS-7042 3.75"H X 3.125"W X 3" D

Output transformer: HTS-7013-1 3.75"H X 3.125"W X 3" D

Choke: HTS 7040 3.25"H X 2.5"W X 2.25" D
Mounting holes: 2"W X 1.75"D

Note: D dimension is estimated

These are all Heyboer made, stand-up style transformers.

DStill looking for the laydown dimensions.
I have a GDS/heybour laydown 36watt PT and 36watt OT at the house. I will do some measurements tonight. Actually I have 2 18watts ahead of this build at this point so I would be willing to sell these until I get caught up. Anyone can email me if interested.

Norm
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

The dimensions for the laydown PT and standup OT in my GDS/Heyboer 36W tranny set are identical to the 18W tranny set as far as the footprint goes. That means you can use them in any 18W chassis.

These transformers are designed to sound very much like the 18W trannys but at the slightly higher volume level. The result is that at the same amount of gain as you get in the 18W amp, you get a couple dB more volume in the 36W amp. I love the 36W alot. It allows you to explore the complex clean tones that are found in the 18W at such low volumes. In the 36W, those cleans are loud enough that you can hear them and use them in a gigging situation.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Where to get transformers for 36W

Post by crgfrench »

I'm building a 36W, with the Ceriatone chassis and Heyboer iron from GDS.
Here's a template for matching up the power tranny.
EDIT: I originally posted a drawing with stainless steel, and that had an error on the dimensions of the outer holes. I have replaced that with an accurate drawing (not exactly to scale but close). Please disregard that old one and refer to the new image attached. I ended up making it out of 11 gauge aluminum.
AluminumAdapter.png
AdaptTranny.png
AdaptChassis.png
AdaptDrawing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x