Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil

JamesHealey

Post by JamesHealey »

18w Lite IIb Build:

V1 Mullard ECC83 (12AX7)
V2 Brimar CV4004 (12AX7)
V3 Electro Harmonix EL84
V4 Electro Harmonix EL84

I'd get some NOS power amp tubes but they're dead expensive and I tend to find loads of old pre-amp tubes at work and nobody else wants them so im allowed to take em.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

dotfret wrote:Perhaps I'm getting callous and bitter in my old age, but I'm fed up of seeing threads like this one. An 18watt amp has 3 x 12AX7, 2 xEL84, and 1 x EZ81 - anything else is outside the box, or similar.
True, but people love to try different brands, whether new or NOS, for some nice subtle variation in tone. And it's still true to being 18W.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

I know what you mean, Phil, but where do you draw the line?

What I'd love to see is some real analysis of what happens with minor changes - and, for that matter, people looking for ways to get that "old" sound out of new valves.

A couple of years ago I received (second hand) a discussion document from a Hong Kong amp designer, in which he described the results of adjusting the working conditions of a new manufacture E88CC style valve to get the same sound coloration as with the old CCa. He didn't give any practical details, but I got the impression that he was working the new valve at higher voltage, and that a switch incorporated in the design would kick in a zener and change the bias, so that the user was able to work with either valve and get the same sound. Yes - that's hifi - but they way he described it, he was looking for an edge of coloration, not absolute clarity.

We are still working with the old stuff because it sounds better than the new stuff - whatever new amp you get, it sounds better with old valves. One day you may find a new amp that sounds OK, but then sounds awful with old valves - perhaps that will be progress.
0 x

slowmols1
Unrated

Post by slowmols1 »

I just got a ceriatone 18watt tmb, and it has 3 jj ecc83's , 2 eh el84's, and a eh ez81. I just ordered a set of golden lion el84's, 3 tungsol 12ax7's, and a jjez81 to try them out. the guy had it for about 2 years before me and played it every day, so I think its about time for some new tubes.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

It's unlikely that the 12AX7/ECC83s need to be changed, as preamp tubes generally are good for many years. However you can have fun experimenting with tones, using the different brands of tubes. The TS 12AX7s have great clarity and definition with a noticeable sweet quality in their tone. However too many of them can make an amp sound really bright. JJ ECC83s OTOH are stronger in the mids, while having poorer definition. The fun part is trying the different brands in different positions and finding which combination gives you the best overall balanced tone and definition.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

slowmols1
Unrated

Post by slowmols1 »

the golden lion el84's sound the same as the ehel84's, but with about 3-5 hours of playing time, the one golden started arching inside the tube and made a horrible noise. I switched back to the eh and it has been good for the last few hours. the 3 tungsol's turned out way to bassey and the v3 was swapped for one of the old jj's and it sounds great. I do like the gain of the tungsol's, and wonder what else to try in the v2, and v3 to get a nice zz top to srv tone. so its v1=ts , v2 and v3 jj , v4 and 5 =ehel84 , and jj ez81
0 x