Tung-sol 12AX7...

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

tarzanalog
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by tarzanalog »

FWIW, I have a Fender XII and it sounds great with my EF86 channel... just beautiful, in fact. The TMB channel when run clean with a TS RI ECC803S at the input is also very good.
0 x

morcey2
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Or Tung-Sol 6V6 RI

Post by morcey2 »

I haven't tried the Gold Tung-Sol ECC803s. I plan on getting another set of 6V6s for the 6V6 18-watt (probably a superlite TMB). I'll probably have to buy spares too. One of the guys I have built a few things for heard the TS 6V6s in my 6G3/5E3 hybrid last night. The GE 6V6s sound pretty good, but the tung-sols just growl wonderfully.

I know that the JJ's seem to be almost a lower powered 6L6 than a true 6V6(not that that's a bad thing; they sound awesome) and seem to really like fixed biased amps. The Tung-Sol's are real 6V6s and seem to like cathode-biased amps more. I don't know if that has any basis in reality, but that seems to be what I've heard. Not that the Tung-Sol's sound bad in my Plexi6V6, but just not as good as the JJ's.

Matt
Last edited by morcey2 on Thu 04/03/08 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kinmike
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kinmike »

RJGTR wrote:
The GT12ax7M (Mullard repro) is a great sounding tube, if a little pricey. It's the closest to the original Mullards in new production I've heard, but if you get them, buy from a reputable reseller who does quality checks. There's been reports of some bad tubes.
I thought the whole idea behind Groove Tubes is that they did an extensive quality check?

Mike
0 x

tarzanalog
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by tarzanalog »

Like I said, I like the gold-pin TS ECC803S in certain applicatons. I think it would be terrific as a cascoded tube or even in a paralleled input preamp. For the $$$ though... the regular TS RI 12AX7 is a good all around tube and more than adequate for most applications.

Anyone see JB's performance at the last Crossroads festival? Was that his daughter on bass?!? Whoever it was, she was wicked.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

kinmike wrote:RJGTR wrote:
The GT12ax7M (Mullard repro) is a great sounding tube, if a little pricey. It's the closest to the original Mullards in new production I've heard, but if you get them, buy from a reputable reseller who does quality checks. There's been reports of some bad tubes.
I thought the whole idea behind Groove Tubes is that they did an extensive quality check?

Mike
You can't polish a turd...

BTW- New Sensor seems to be getting their act together as the reject rate on tubes that I have gotten from them has decreased significantly in the past year. Their EH EF86 sounds pretty decent, but still has microphonic issues.
0 x

Oldschooltone
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Oldschooltone »

(((has anyone tried the Amperex 12ax7?)))
0 x

BBQLS1
Old timer, Never stops talking
Old timer, Never stops talking

Post by BBQLS1 »

Good tube. It sounds and look the most like a Mullard I have.
0 x
Don´t ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answers you want me to.

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

I just delivered a Liverpool (4xEL84) to a client that used all new TS 12AX7s and Sovtek EL84Ms. Sounds pretty darn good fresh with really no time on the amp. No microphonics, no noise, so I was pretty happy and the client was more so. The TS 12AX7 is less microphonic than the new Mullard 12AX7s, however I would suspect this with the difference in design though.

RCA 7025s are my favorite. Real Blackburn Mullards are fantastic. Expensive, but worth it.
0 x

Oldschooltone
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Oldschooltone »

>>>dartanion<<<
so what is it you like about th RCA 7025 $150??? and if I where to only use one in the V-1 socket would it still have the magic?
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

I have a few RCA 7025s that I did not pay much for at all, and they are a super tube. These are the lowest noise 12AX7 around. Very rich sounding clean and crunchy. Also a very robust tube. Never had a microphonic one ever. Even some schwaggy looking used ones.
0 x

Oldschooltone
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Oldschooltone »

(((dartanion)))
Did you want to sell (1) of those 7025's??? one of my other personalities made me ask.

There has to be more options for 12ax7's other than NOS.
0 x

kinmike
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kinmike »

RCA 12AX7s are great sounding tubes but they are notoriously microphonic. I have a question: is an RCA 7025 a different construction than an RCA 12AX7 or is it just a tube that passed a higher quality control standard for noise?

Mike
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

It's a low noise Military version of the 12AX7. Pretty rugged and sound great. I have a few, and they are staying put in my stash.

The reality folks is that ANY tube can be microphonic, ANY tube CAN sound great, ANY tube can be low noise...it just depends. I have some new tubes that sound better than some NOS tubes. I have used pulls that sound better than high buck new prod. With any tube amp, I swap tubes around until I find a set that sounds good in that amp. It takes time and patience; well and some cash to find the right tubes.

I never expect anything magical from a set of tubes. If they are, then YEEHAW CUZ! If not, move on to other tubes.
0 x

novosibir

Post by novosibir »

Without any doubt the TungSol Reissue is the best sounding 12AX7 from current production and IMO comes very close soundwise to NOS Tungsram's, just a tad slender sounding.

Although I've had hum issues again and again with this tube and have noticed, that sometimes it's quickly dying in CF stages.

Larry
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

novosibir wrote:... and have noticed, that sometimes it's quickly dying in CF stages.
Have you tried the CF safety feature on www.valvewizard.co.uk?
0 x

novosibir

Post by novosibir »

No, haven't tried it yet. I can't believe, that this isn't sound influencing!

Larry
0 x

pylet2000
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by pylet2000 »

pylet2000 wrote:The Tung Sol RI is a great tube, new production or NOS aside. And coming from New Sensor, I found it to be a shock. I was really skeptical, as the RI Mullard from them was a dissapointment to me and the only other tube they put out worth a hoot is the Sovtek 12AX7LPS (maybe only worth 3/4 hoot).

I would suggest ordering more than you actually need, as I've bought about a dozen and had problems with 2 or 3 of them. One was DOA, one burned out VERY quickly (10-15 hours tops), and one was hopelessly microphonic/noisy. Another problem I've had with these is the diameter of the tube is a little bit larger than standard. Usually not a problem, but I couldn't use these in a VibroChamp because the tube shield base was too small. 8O :x I guess the VibroChamp has a relatively small tube shield base, but it was a real disappointment.
As an update, 3 failures has turned into a solid 4 gone dead! :evil: :x

The latest fatality was on a gig 8O in my bass players Mesa 400+. Not like that amp is hard on it's preamp tubes. The tube has seen maybe 50 hours use, tops.

So my verdict on these is, decent tone, among the best for new tubes. But yikes, look out for failures. 1 out of 3 going dead is far too much.

A tube that I think sounds every bit as good, and has been quite a bit more durable (to date) has been the JJ long plate, ECC803S I think it is. And I'm hoping Ei starts cranking out those excellent Telefunken copies soon... :?
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

Those Ei's do sound good, but side by side with an actual Tele long plate, there is no comparison, but I haven't found any tubes that compare with those!

Sorry about your Tungs!
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

If Ei could just lick the microphonics issues, they'd be one of my top picks.

The 12ax7EH also dies when used for the CF. I like the Tungsol 12ax7 and use it quite a bit now, but I also use JJs with them. I find that by mixing them you get a better balance and the JJs are very reliable. If the amp is darker sounding chinese 12ax7s are also a good choice for a PI or CF.
0 x