Peavey EL84

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

Duke

Peavey EL84

Post by Duke »

There's a local music shop going out of business and I picked a packaged pair of Peavey EL84s today. They say "Made in Russia" on them. Are they Sovtek? I had JJs in and compared to the JJs they are much brighter sounding. I lost the thundering bass and picked up some sparkle that I've never heard. Has anyone else tried these in their 18 watt. It's worth $10 just to hear the difference.
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

I do not own a 18 watt (yet), but heard EH, Sovtek and JJ's EL84 in Laney's an in my current Loredo : the Sovtek or EH where in no way brighter than the JJ
I recently tried a bunch of current production and NOS EL84, and JJ is the clear, and by far winner : best sounding, more powerfull etc.
The EH are brighter than the Sovtek, and more detailled (made by Sovtek though, but better selection, perhaps construction differences ? Not sure, but i tested "Mullard reissue", and they are not sounding exactly like the EH EL84 wich are supposed to be their sisters...so who knows ? )
I think your new tubes are EH, and youre JJ's are tired...and your ears are used to them.
But as i said before, i do not own a 18 watts, and the schematic comes always first for sound shaping.
Perhaps is the EH EL84 the best souding EL84 in this amp ?

(I'm french, hope you understand my english)
Last edited by kleuck on Mon 06/30/08 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Duke

Post by Duke »

Yes, JJ is more powerful than these tubes, and they tend to buzz when driven hard. These do not buzz as much and I think it's because of the less power. I am not thinking they are necessarily better, but they are different for sure. These are my first tube swaps, so change is always fun at first. Time will tell which I prefer.

Thanks for the reply.
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

Duke wrote:Yes, JJ is more powerful than these tubes, and they tend to buzz when driven hard. These do not buzz as much and I think it's because of the less power.
Buzz is often a sign of age.
Mine do not buzz, an i run them always at full tilt in a very little amp.
0 x

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

peavey used sovtek 84's for years. I think they may have recently (recently meaning several years ago) gone to EH, but i'm not sure. in any case they're likely the sovtek basic el84's which are considered by most to be about the worse. I always chucked them when i bought a peavey and put JJ's in. They're much fuller and fuller sounding w/o the sovteks harsh brightness.
0 x