opinions on 6n2p

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

opinions on 6n2p

Post by kedsinger »

These are russian military. Similar to 12ax7 but different current draw on plates and 6.3 volt heater only. Has anyone done the math on using these in 18w or 36w. I don't know the formula and haven't started classes yet(41 years old and I'm so addicted to this I decided to go to night school). Anyway, I bought a bunch of these pretty cheap to experiment with. I through one in an amp I don't care much about and it sounds good. :)
Keith
0 x

breakfastbuddy

6n2p tubes

Post by breakfastbuddy »

i think its the same tube as ecc 85 . you connect pin 4and 5 for filament heat . on a reg 12ax7 or ecc 83 you connect 4and 5 togerher and on the other side you connect pin 9
Espen
0 x

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kedsinger »

Thanks guys. Yea it's higher current draw that worries me, but I'm thinking if I only use in one position I should be fine. If I put three in and strung them all up your talking some serious difference in current draw. :)
0 x

Merlinb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: 6n2p tubes

Post by Merlinb »

breakfastbuddy wrote:i think its the same tube as ecc 85 .
The pin out is like an ECC85, but the characteristics are like a 12AX7. I have a few I've been meaning to try out for ages, but haven't got round to it!

Kedsinger, you could put resistors in series with the heater to bring the current down to 300mA, same as a 12AX7. OK, the heater would then be running low, but that wouldn't be a major issue since you're entering new territory by using 6N2Ps anyway.
0 x

kedsinger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kedsinger »

Merlinb wrote:
breakfastbuddy wrote:i think its the same tube as ecc 85 .
The pin out is like an ECC85, but the characteristics are like a 12AX7. I have a few I've been meaning to try out for ages, but haven't got round to it!

Kedsinger, you could put resistors in series with the heater to bring the current down to 300mA, same as a 12AX7. OK, the heater would then be running low, but that wouldn't be a major issue since you're entering new territory by using 6N2Ps anyway.
Hey I didn't think of that. Or I could use a seperate fil. transformer like a lot of old commercial amps had in the old days. :idea: ....or I could just use 12ax7's :lol:
0 x

Merlinb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Merlinb »

kedsinger wrote: ....or I could just use 12ax7's :lol:
Well if you want to be like everyone else, *yawn* :wink:
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

The standard 6n2p can be used in place of 12AX7 in most circuits with revised wiring to accommodate the different pin-out. They need a little more heater current (around 10%), but when they get that, they sound fine - and most designs have enough to spare to accommodate them. The military version, 6n2p-ev (the v signifies military, and is B in cyrillic) is a hungry beast when it comes to heater current compared to the "standard" version - that is when you really need the extra. Try to run at reduced heater current, and you get more noise and a thin sound ...

Google for Red Bear - a defunct range of Russian guitar amps ...
0 x