ez81

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

grndluxe
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

ez81

Post by grndluxe »

i think i have this right--is it correct that rectifiers don't affect tone in an 18 watt? as long as it doesn't make noise or is too hot (posts about sovtek)? a jj vs an nos is more just a personal thing or an opinion about reliability? thanks for the help.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

Strictly speaking, everything affects tone (see below). Practically speaking, the 18W is a relatively low power amp, with little to no sag in the high voltage area. As a result, the rectifier isn't all that significant. Some might even say that you can use a solid state rectifier and you wouldn't notice the difference. Others will argue you can. I honestly don't know.

Sag occurs when you push the amp hard and the circuit "requests" more than the rectifier can supply. It's sort of a momentary brown out and this will affect tone. Experienced players know about this and learn to use it in their arsenal of tricks. Solid state rectifiers don't behave this way.

As for 6CA4 vs 5Y3...probably not significant at all in the 18W.
0 x

Merlinb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Merlinb »

Phil_S wrote:Strictly speaking, everything affects tone (see below). Practically speaking, the 18W is a relatively low power amp, with little to no sag in the high voltage area.
I think he means difference between brands.
In which case no, there's not much difference between beands of recitifer, usually.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

I missed the brand issue. The Sovtek 5Y3 is a known deviant from the typical and it is one brand that does vary from others. If I recall, the voltage drop with the Sovtek is much less than the typical 5Y3, but I have no personal experience with it. Thanks, Merlin.
0 x

grndluxe
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by grndluxe »

yes, i meant name brands of ez81s. does using an NOS ez81 vs a NEW ez81 make a difference other than the perceived reliability. i have seen posts that say that the sovtek brand of ez81 is too 'hot'. i guess allows too much voltage. but is there any benefit in my buying (for instance) an NOS RCA rectifier instead of just using the JJ that is in the amp?
as far as the difference between a SS or glass--no contest. at one time i had a Victoria Bandmaster. i could tell the difference blindfolded and drunk between the SS plug, a 5U4 or a GZ34.
0 x