What works in my 1974X Reissue

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

tubesnguitars
Unrated

What works in my 1974X Reissue

Post by tubesnguitars »

After much testing and listening it seems that the tube complement for me is V1-GT12AX7M, V2-GT5751M, V3-12AX7M, Power tubes GTEL84S (4 Rating), and the stock rectifier. Sounds great to me.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

So, you like GT :) . Tone is subjective. Everyone should find a combo they like. Do let us know about the reliability of these tubes. I have been reading that some of the GTxxxxx-M tubes go south PDQ, but I have no personal experience. Maybe this is a production problem that has been fixed?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I wonder if you've tried out any NOS tubes. I have a feeling that some good NOS tubes would open up the sound of your amp even further. :D if you want some real good deals on NOS tubes, talk to Terry Kilgore (Dave Lee Roth's guitarist) aka Tube Tramp aka Sgt Overdrive - http://mhuss.com/sgtoverdrive/
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

tonejester
Unrated

GT 12AX7M issues

Post by tonejester »

Phil_S wrote:So, you like GT :) . Tone is subjective. Everyone should find a combo they like. Do let us know about the reliability of these tubes. I have been reading that some of the GTxxxxx-M tubes go south PDQ, but I have no personal experience. Maybe this is a production problem that has been fixed?
If you can find some that don't sputter and crackle and pop you are doing good. Ithink out of about 10-12 of them that I have bought 2 are actually useable. Pretty shoddy quality for a top of the line tube(supposedly)
0 x