so much for Tung sol, how bout the mullard RI?

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

so much for Tung sol, how bout the mullard RI?

Post by lovedat800 »

So the tung sol 12AX7 seems to be OK in V1. Not bad but nothing great. Just a bit nicer than what i had, and maybe in time i won't even think so. So on to reissue #2, the mullard reissue that appears to be from the same company, correct me if i'm wrong. What is it, svetlana or sovtek, I dunno, nor do i care. But has anyone tried this and the tungsol and if so what did you think?
0 x

lespaulplayer

Post by lespaulplayer »

I've never tried a New Sensor Russian Mullard 12AX7, but I think I know what they sound like based on information from Doug of Doug's Tubes.

When I inquired about them, he stated they were selected Sovtek LPS's. The same tube.

8O

Doug is a straight shooter so I'm inclined to believe this.

And I think it really sux that the same Mike Matthews that gave us the well-recieved Tung-Sol 12AX7 RI would pull this.

$20 or so for a nice Sovtek LPS. That's what it amounts to...if Doug Preston's statement is fact...

So if you know what a Sovtek LPS sounds like, I bet you know what a Mullard RI sounds like.

:roll:

BTW, what did you have in V1 before you tried the TS?
0 x

tkdrew

Post by tkdrew »

I built a plexi clone for a friend of mine last month. He bought 2 of the RI Tung Sol and 2 of the RI Mullards to try in various combinations in the amp. To me the Tung Sols sounded really nice, maybe a tad bright, but very nice clarity. The Mullards were too dark and borderline muddy no matter which slot they were in. Ended up using the TS in the first 2 positions and the Mullard for the PI, sounded really good like that. Seems the Mullard smoothed the tone out nicely in the PI. One of the Mullards went microphonic during the first week of use too, so bad it couldn't even be used in the PI. For my money I would go with JJ's over the RI Mullards. I have used some of the Grove tubes 12ax7M which are supposed to be based on the old Mullards too, they were a good sounding tube too but not worth the extra cost.
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

Honestly, unless you're looking to go into production mode, I would just use an original Mullard. Yes, they can be pricey, but the M RI's aren't exactly cheap either. Why mess around? The originals can still be had, you know they'll deliver what you want, and they'll probably last much longer - and even retain their value to an extent. ...But this is coming from a compulsive scavenger who never pays NOS prices. :wink:
0 x

Brewmaster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Brewmaster »

LesPaulPlayer wrote:I've never tried a New Sensor Russian Mullard 12AX7, but I think I know what they sound like based on information from Doug of Doug's Tubes.

When I inquired about them, he stated they were selected Sovtek LPS's. The same tube.

8O

Doug is a straight shooter so I'm inclined to believe this.

And I think it really sux that the same Mike Matthews that gave us the well-recieved Tung-Sol 12AX7 RI would pull this.

$20 or so for a nice Sovtek LPS. That's what it amounts to...if Doug Preston's statement is fact...

So if you know what a Sovtek LPS sounds like, I bet you know what a Mullard RI sounds like.

:roll:

BTW, what did you have in V1 before you tried the TS?

I have been buying tubes from Doug since he started up about 6 years ago. I have found that his word is golden.

Also, just an FYI, a Sovtek LPS is not a good choice for a combo. The plates are too large IMHO and the tube WILL become microphonic in short order. Use preamp tubes with short plates in combos. I have used EH, also a New Sensor 12ax7, with no issues. They are a bit on the bright side but mixed with short plate JJ's in the right combination they sound good.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Alexo wrote:I would just use an original Mullard. Yes, they can be pricey, but the M RI's aren't exactly cheap either. Why mess around? The originals can still be had, you know they'll deliver what you want, and they'll probably last much longer - and even retain their value to an extent. ...But this is coming from a compulsive scavenger who never pays NOS prices. :wink:
Same here - on all counts. I use vintage Mullards, all which I have managed to get at very reasonable prices.

AFAIK the GT Mullard copy sounds pretty close to the real thing, but has had a lot of reliability issues.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

Thanks all. Guess i'll pass. I don't care for the GT RI either, at least not in my builds. I loved them in a peavey amp, but no where else. I'm glad i posted this tho because the remark about using a dark tune in the PI is something i never thought about but could be just what i need sometimes....a way to take the top edge off w/o dulling the preamp's response. i don't know why i never thought of that but thanks for that ! i have a JJ thats rather dark that i'll try there. Any other even darker sounding tubes?

So far i have been using the original chinese AX7's forever and i guess i'm just so used to them nothing else so far has sounded better to me. I have enough to last me to the grave.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Chinese 12ax7s are good tubes and some of the best new production 12ax7s out there. Of course, not everyone likes the tone of every tube, but I find they sound good in most amps. They are especially good in PI and CF positions.

The GT 12ax7Ms are Chinese tubes, but GT doesn't seem to be doing the right amount of QC. I have a bunch of them and some just go bad; they just start making a ticking sound. The older ones seemed better than the newer ones. It is a shame, because they are fairly close to the NOS Mullards.

As for TungSols, I like them, but I tend to use them with JJs and Chinese 12ax7s in some amps. Using different brands is a great way to balance an amp out.
0 x

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

thats apparently how i feel about the old chinese tubes because since day one they have stayed and anything else i thought i liked has gone. Seems like no matter what i try in find that when putting a chinese back in i fell like "theres THE sound again". They just do it for me, and like you said they seem to work in all amps equally well. I'm just going to leave things as they are except i do want to try a very dark sounding tube in the PI to tame a bit of the hi end at louder volumes. I had a JJ i wanted to try but i can't seem to find it, so if anyone has any suggestions for a current production tube thats very dark lemmie know. Otherwise i'll just get another JJ if they still make those original ones that were dark.
0 x

lespaulplayer

Post by lespaulplayer »

The Shuguang 12AX7's do sound nice. I find that they are really articulate and have a bit of a cutting edge to them that helps an amp to cut through. I like them for live Zeppelin type tones.

For a dark current-production 12AX7. you can try the Sovtek 12AX7WB.
0 x

lovedat800
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lovedat800 »

LOL!!! I looked thru a bunch of old tubes i've had laying around forever and i find a WC and a WA but no WB !!! My luck. :( Well, i have some more elsewhere and i'll look thru those too but i don't think i'll find one.
0 x