NOS EL84 souces and choices in the UK

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

NOS EL84 souces and choices in the UK

Post by conger »

I want to try some different EL84's to the only ones that I have which are JJ's. What I am looking for is more creamy distortion.

Watford Valves (http://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?search=el84) have some interesting looking ones. Has anyone got experience of these specific EL84's.

Sylvania Black Plates NOS @ £28 +15% VAT & delivery.
"These American EL84 have the famous "Black cylindrical Anode plates" that are always talked about as having some musical magic."
http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1300

Mazda CV2975 NOS Made in Russia @ £15 +15% VAT & delivery.
"These Mazda EL84, which are the same as the foreign made Brimars that we had around 4 years ago. "
http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=2008

HARMA EL84 Retro (new production, I think) @ £15 +15% VAT & delivery.
"The HARMA EL84 Retro is based on Mullard EL84 and is the natural succesor to our famous EL84 STR."
http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1954

HARMA Vintage 1960's NOS @ £12.77 +15% VAT & delivery.
"We are proud to introduce the Harma Vintage EL84. These are military sourced tubes from the original tesla factory Circa mid 1960s."
http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=898

Also does anyone know of alternative sources for NOS EL84's in the UK ?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Here's a few:

Colomor Electronics - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/COLOMOR-VALVES ... COMPONENTS

Valve & Tube Supplies - www.valves.uk.com

Crowthorne Tubes - www.crowthornetubes.com/contents.htm

http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Michaels-Ele ... QQ_armrsZ1

However, I would be very tempted to try the HARMA Vintage 1960's NOS EL84s. Tesla NOS EL84s are very nice, and the price is pretty reasonable.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by conger »

zaphod_phil wrote:However, I would be very tempted to try the HARMA Vintage 1960's NOS EL84s. Tesla NOS EL84s are very nice, and the price is pretty reasonable.
Thanks for those links. I have been watching the Colomor Ebay site but they never have very detailed information about their valves.

The HARMA Vintage ones do sound very attractive especially at those relatively low prices. Watford Valves are never cheap so those valves seem suspiciously cheap. Anyone tried these?
0 x

TimbreWolf
Unrated

Re: NOS EL84 souces and choices in the UK

Post by TimbreWolf »

conger wrote:What I am looking for is more creamy distortion.
The first EL84 type that came to mind when I read this was the black-plate Sylvania 6BQ5. Then I saw that Watford actually has some on hand. I would recommend them (the tubes) highly. Also, I've had only good experiences with Watford - Derek & crew seem reliable. I can't anticipate any regrets buying the b-p Sylvania through Watford.

- Thom
0 x

wiseowl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by wiseowl »

Iachyd da Conger,

I hadn't noticed that you live in Wales before, whereabouts are you?

+1 for Watford, an ex work colleague of mine, now retired, has serviced amps for years and always uses Watford. On the rare occasion he's had valves fail he hasn't had any pain in getting them replaced. Other than that I can't really comment, apart from a few old Mullards I was given I have been using JJ's.

Cheers

Martin
0 x

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: NOS EL84 souces and choices in the UK

Post by conger »

TimbreWolf wrote:The first EL84 type that came to mind when I read this was the black-plate Sylvania 6BQ5. Then I saw that Watford actually has some on hand. I would recommend them (the tubes) highly. Also, I've had only good experiences with Watford - Derek & crew seem reliable. I can't anticipate any regrets buying the b-p Sylvania through Watford. Thom
Good info on the Sylvania el84'S - Just the sort of feedback I was looking for.
0 x

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by conger »

wiseowl wrote:Iachyd da Conger,

The City of Torchwood.

Watford seem like a decent supplier but they do have their own branded tubes and their cryogenic treatment which tends to get in the way of figuring out what they really have. They obviously push the Harma and cryogenic stuff.
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

Torchwood, as in the same name that has shown up as a secret organization of the Crown in the television series of the same name, and Dr. Who???? (Just wish those blokes over at the BBC didn't go and destroy as much of series 0 as they did.) Makes me wonder if someone was brainstorming, and the best they could do was come up with the name of a city they had just recenly been.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

wiseowl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by wiseowl »

conger wrote:
wiseowl wrote:Iachyd da Conger,

The City of Torchwood.

Watford seem like a decent supplier but they do have their own branded tubes and their cryogenic treatment which tends to get in the way of figuring out what they really have. They obviously push the Harma and cryogenic stuff.
Then you should go back through the rift and get some pucka NOS......

I'm about 20 miles West of you in Bridgend.

Cheers
Last edited by wiseowl on Wed 04/22/09 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

wiseowl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by wiseowl »

Shrapnel wrote:Torchwood, as in the same name that has shown up as a secret organization of the Crown in the television series of the same name, and Dr. Who???? .
Torchwood is a spin off of Dr Who, and an anagram of Doctor Who...
0 x

TimbreWolf
Unrated

Post by TimbreWolf »

conger wrote:They obviously push the Harma
Their "Harma" label goes on tubes of a number of different origins, depending on the tube type. But those "Harma" tubes have predominantly been current-production JJ. This used to be the case for the Harma EL84, but, as I review their site, they've expanded their "Harma" EL84 offerings, and have several different-origin choices.

- Thom
Last edited by TimbreWolf on Wed 04/22/09 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

I knew it was a spinoff, but didn't place the anagram on the name... Maybe it's a combo of the two then. Anagram and somewhat, the city.

Either way, would be nice to maybe see the Dr. go a little rock-n-roll with an 18watt. Wonder if Marshall would like that thought.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

TimbreWolf wrote:Their "Harma" label goes on tubes of a number of different origins, depending on the tube type.
Very true.
TimbreWolf wrote:But those "Harma" tubes are mostly current-production JJ. This is the case for the Harma EL84.
In this case, however, they're clearly being sold as NOS Tesla EL84s (not modern JJs) - and I have no reason to doubt what Watford are saying. Not all of Watford's "Harma" labeled tubes are modern production. Sometimes they're Eastern European NOS which they rebadge because it doesn't have one of the big names known to the average guitarist or hi-fi guy, like Telefunken or Mullard, for instance. I've had Tesla hexplate EL84s in the past that were labeled as Harma STR EL84s. They had a really nice thick tone.
conger wrote: Watford Valves are never cheap so those valves seem suspiciously cheap. Anyone tried these?
Teslas are usually really good. :D And don't worry, after you add the handling, postage and VAT, they won't look half so cheap. :lol:
0 x

TimbreWolf
Unrated

Post by TimbreWolf »

Hey Zaphod - I was going by past information. I edited my post after taking a second look at their current offerings. The NOS Tesla are only one of several options. I agree, though, that the Tesla are very good EL84. But, in my experience, they don't fit the "creamy" description that Conger is looking for.

I agree about the final cost - not so cheap. But assured good quality.

- T
0 x

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by conger »

wiseowl wrote:Then you should go back through the rift and get some pucka NOS......
..I bet they they have some damn good stuff in that hut under the pier.
wiseowl wrote:I'm about 20 miles West of you in Bridgend. Cheers
Small world eh. Good to know.
0 x

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by conger »

zaphod_phil wrote:In this case, however, they're clearly being sold as NOS Tesla EL84s (not modern JJs) - and I have no reason to doubt what Watford are saying. Not all of Watford's "Harma" labeled tubes are modern production. Sometimes they're Eastern European NOS which they rebadge because it doesn't have one of the big names known to the average guitarist or hi-fi guy, like Telefunken or Mullard, for instance. I've had Tesla hexplate EL84s in the past that were labeled as Harma STR EL84s. They had a really nice thick tone.
Those Harma STR EL84's appear to have a good reputation but are no longer available (from Watford anyway).

Watford also tend to add the same description to every valve, i.e. these valves have been tested on our Brian May burst testing rig and would sound great in a VOX. Those Harma Vintage EL84's also have a very short product description compared to some of their other valves.

I did buy a pair of these '67 Russian production Philips EL84's, at £15 each from Langrex on eBay.co.uk.

I haven't had a chance to really crank the amp with the these tubes yet but I will report back when I have played them enough to comment on.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

conger wrote:Those Harma STR EL84's appear to have a good reputation but are no longer available (from Watford anyway).
I had suspected that might be the case. I think Terry Kilgore (aka Sgt Overdrive / Tube Tramp) also ran out of those Tesla hexplates.
conger wrote:Watford also tend to add the same description to every valve, i.e. these valves have been tested on our Brian May burst testing rig and would sound great in a VOX.
True. :lol: Yes, it seems to be their standard "boilerplate" text for their EL84s.
conger wrote:Those Harma Vintage EL84's also have a very short product description compared to some of their other valves.
Yes, I noticed that. But I still think they would be really nice valves. Personally, I would have been very tempted to go for them. If you had any questions, you could easily just ask Rocco at Watford. In a year or so's time, what's left of those ones, will very likely be sold as "burst-tested on Brian May's rig" etc, and probably labeled as Harma STR EL84s. :lol:
conger wrote:I did buy a pair of these '67 Russian production Philips EL84's, at £15 each from Langrex on eBay.co.uk.
Visually, that one looks "right", and has the typical Philips rectangular slotted anodes (said to sound better than the ones with the circular holes). But I have to confess that I'd never heard of Philips manufacturing in Russia. What production code do they have near the base?
0 x

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by conger »

zaphod_phil wrote: What production code do they have near the base?
I can't see any, although I haven't tried the fridge trick yet.

I assume they are Russian manufacture, because are described by Langrex as:
EL84/6BQ5 PHILIPS
NEW NAD UNUSED
1967 PRODUCTION
VERY SCARCE RUSSIAN BLACK TOPS
HAT GETTER RING

Although, "Russian Black Tops" sounds more like a make of condom. Hopefully Watford and Langrex will never join forces and we can be spared the potential sales description "Russian Black Tops - as worn and burst tested by Brian May, ideal for use in ..."
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

Just to clarify a couple of things -

When the lights were going out on European valve production, Philips took over the Polam/Telam operation and produced valves for a while, from the late 70s on.
As I understand it, they are still making lamps there.

A lot of that Polish EL84 production used Russian "planet" getters, so people assume the valves are relabelled. Truth is, they are Polish made under Philips management and better than the average 6p14p.

As long as you know the source is reputable, trust that the valves are Polish production. Because the Russian getters were only used after Philips took over Polam, they are a GOOD sign, indicating that Philips QC was controlling the production.

My guess would be that they are not 67 production. In 67, Philips would have no reason to buy from Russia. 80s makes more sense.
0 x

TimbreWolf
Unrated

Post by TimbreWolf »

Polam/Telam EL84 are very nice sounding tubes, in my opinion. But..
dotfret wrote:they are still making lamps there.
I don't think so. Check out this photoessay: Abandoned Fluorescent Light Plant "Polam" 8O

- Thom
0 x