Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Latest from Mullard, Blackburn.

Post by stevesuk »

Doesn't say when or how much.

In our last note we concentrated on the anode current aspect of the valve. In this note we would like to review another important aspect of the valve, microphony.

During our brand launch at the Sound and Vision show last September the importance of microphony was expressed again and again. It is a characteristic that we have always paid attention to in the new design of the TechTube™ valve. Indeed, the design of today has changed from that original product as we have addressed this important characteristic.

The design of our planar valve with its low capacitance and minimal structural restraint results in a valve that has the “creamy, warm, smoooooooth” sound associated with the best valves of years gone by.

In keeping with our UK and Blackburn heritage for the guitar world it was always a desire to produce a valve that replicated the traditional “British sound” associated with the style of Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend and of course Jimi Hendrix. We think we have achieved that…

During testing and evaluation that we have undertaken with guitar amplifier manufacturers such as MAT amps and noted guitar players such as Adrian Ingram and “Slim” from The Hamsters, it is clear that the TechTube™ valve has its own unique characteristics. “The TechTube™ valve performance sings”, “it’s so musical it adds to the performance of the instrument”, “chord separation is very clear”, “its sound is warm and creamy smooth”, “very reminiscent of the Eric Clapton sound” are among the comments made during testing.

But even more, in audio applications the TechTube™ valves perform with great “speed”; “quick responses” and “warmth” according to Geoff Kremer from Proteus Audio Developments, makers of the Diamond Amplifier series.

All these characteristics are of course a result of the design but there is something else too in our opinion. If the traditional valve construction is flicked with a finger, a so called “good” valve sounds dull and lifeless. Most times this characteristic is passed into the “soul” of the valve and its performance can be dull, with weak responses in some tonal regions. In an attempt to minimise microphony the life and soul has been restrained out of the valve.

With the TechTube™ valve the minimal structural restraint design allows tiny amounts of movement in the various components which at times allows a small amount of microphony when driven hard at high frequencies. This, in our opinion, is required to give the TechTube™ valve its fantastic performance in both guitar and HiFi applications, its “life and vitality”, its “fantastic speed”, its “clean chord separation”, its “warmth and smoothness”...

From all in the TechTube™ team @ Blackburn

Steve UK

www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I think I smell marketing creeping in.....
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Latest from Mullard, Blackburn.

Post by guitarmike2107 »

With the TechTube™ valve the minimal structural restraint design allows tiny amounts of movement in the various components which at times allows a small amount of microphony when driven hard at high frequencies. This, in our opinion, is required to give the TechTube™ valve its fantastic performance in both guitar and HiFi applications, its “life and vitality”, its “fantastic speed”, its “clean chord separation”, its “warmth and smoothness”...

From all in the TechTube™ team @ Blackburn
Which translates to:

Damn those designers in the 40’s and 50’s were good, we couldn’t even get the microphonics designed out and have sadly accepted it, so don’t even bother trying to fit this to a combo guitar amp :twisted:
0 x

BDC
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BDC »

They havn't mentioned a tube type, are they talking about all of they're tubes? Planar valve? Typically when talking michrophonics, your talking about pre-amp tubes--A microphonic power tube! That wouldn't be good......I would expect a power tube with slight microphonics to have a short life...

I know they plan to produce an el-84..Anybody know about if they are making el-34s.....I'm sure they must be making 12 AX7s....What other amp tubes are they making, anybody know? I hope they havn't spent all of they're R&D budget......At least they're not doing as others have done, producing a tube with claims that it sound just like a Mullard...
Yeah! Marketing.........
0 x

titanicslim
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by titanicslim »

I won't be able to sleep for anticipation.

Dave
0 x
A brain weight of nine hundred grams is adequate as an optimum for human behavior. Anything more is employed in the commission of misdeeds. -Hooton

Merlinb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Merlinb »

BDC wrote:They havn't mentioned a tube type, are they talking about all of they're tubes? Planar valve? Typically when talking michrophonics, your talking about pre-amp tubes--A microphonic power tube! That wouldn't be good......I would expect a power tube with slight microphonics to have a short life...
All valves are microphonic, as are all electronic components. It's just less noticeable in power valves because their gain is lower.
0 x

BDC
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BDC »

Merlinb wrote:
BDC wrote:They havn't mentioned a tube type, are they talking about all of they're tubes? Planar valve? Typically when talking michrophonics, your talking about pre-amp tubes--A microphonic power tube! That wouldn't be good......I would expect a power tube with slight microphonics to have a short life...
All valves are microphonic, as are all electronic components. It's just less noticeable in power valves because their gain is lower.
I have seen a microphonic power tube before.....Of course if it's noticable its real bad.....Though I guess I wasn't aware that all valves were microphonic to some degree, if that is true. My judgement has always been based on a tap. Bigtime preamp gain ain't my thing....I wouldn't base my standard on a Bogner Ubershall with the preamp on 10!
So preamp tubes that are somewhat microphonic would likely be fine for much of my use.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Latest from Mullard, Blackburn.

Post by zaphod_phil »

BDC wrote:They havn't mentioned a tube type, are they talking about all of they're tubes? Planar valve? Typically when talking michrophonics, your talking about pre-amp tubes-- I know they plan to produce an el-84..Anybody know about if they are making el-34s.....I'm sure they must be making 12 AX7s....What other amp tubes are they making, anybody know?
According to their web site, they're making superior equivalents of the ECC81 (12AT7), ECC82 (12AU7) and ECC83 (12AX7) - http://www.techtubevalves.com/index.php They haven't announced plans for any other kind of tube yet. If you look at the pictures in their spec sheets, you can clearly see the electrode structures inside the glass don't look like any 12A_7 preamp tubes you've ever seen before, and do appear to be of planar construction. It's also interesting that their earlier marketing seemed mostly focused on the hi-fi and professional audio markets, and now somewhat belatedly they seem to have woken up to the guitar valve amp market.
If the traditional valve construction is flicked with a finger, a so called “good” valve sounds dull and lifeless. Most times this characteristic is passed into the “soul” of the valve and its performance can be dull, with weak responses in some tonal regions. In an attempt to minimise microphony the life and soul has been restrained out of the valve.

IMO this is total BS.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

BDC
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BDC »

These guys are taking orders! Anybody tryed em' yet....
Sound samples too.........
http://www.techtubevalves.com/
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

The input stage of some guitar amplifiers can swamp the sensitivity of the valve generating microphony so we recommend you not to use this release of TechTube™ valve in this first valve position without using one of the many dampening devices available.
£30 for a valve they say is going to be microphonic ?

Sounds microphony to me. 8)

Steve UK
www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

WaZaK
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by WaZaK »

stevesuk wrote:
Sounds microphony to me.
A typically "British" polite comment, Steve!
My time over here has taught me to tell it how it is. BS!
They made a load of cr*p on their first run, and are now trying to recoup some pennies ......
Before it matters that they were made in Blackburn (those days are gone - get over it!) they have to actually work. Then to sell them, they need to be better (and preferably cost no more) than the competition. 30 quid?
0 x
I'm the "wrong" side of the pond: 4,500 miles from real ale. Help!

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

WaZaK wrote: Before it matters that they were made in Blackburn (those days are gone - get over it!) they have to actually work.
Yeah, those days are gone forever.
It's funny to work in old industry complex, but can be romantic too!
I have my workshop in one of those, though, thousand miles away of Blackburn :lol:
Here's picture

0 x

Shrapnel
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Shrapnel »

If someone hasn't seen this yet... I say this because I know it has been posted over in the hoffman/EL34 forums...

Here's a bit of history from Mullard (The REAL Mullard)

http://blip.tv/file/1260563/

They're showing the making of an EL84 in it.

Note to moderators: If you feel this would be best as its own thread, feel free to break it out of here and title it appropriately.
0 x
Rock and Roll Aint Noise Pollution, neither is my amp :D

jcny

Post by jcny »

There have been some guys over on the LP forums who have tried these new design Blackburns in their amps, they like them :!:

From what I read, the microphonic comment on their website was aimed at the high end audio market user, the people who posted on the LP forum re: their use in guitar amps reported no microphonic issues at all.

If anyone wants, I can post a link to the LP forum discussion :D
Hope this helps
0 x

BDC
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BDC »

They say on the tech tube site that they are making available noise suppressors with shipments........Thats sounds pretty bad...people are saying that the tubes sound good, so far.. Tech tube claims real long life.
The standard 18 doesn't have a real hot preamp section and with that amp my opinion has been that preamp tubes don't have too much impact on the tone. I'm hoping that Tech puts out an EL 84, but I'm sure everybody does.......
0 x

dboy
Unrated

Post by dboy »

Here's a bit of history from Mullard (The REAL Mullard)

http://blip.tv/file/1260563/

They're showing the making of an EL84 in it.
That is awesome. I just found this post and was thrilled to watch these tubes made. As I watched it, I held my original vintage Mullard's in my hand and looked at every detail. Awesomeness. I love my amp even more than I did before.

Mullards rule!!!

18 watt amps are magic.
0 x