6v6s for lite IIb or superlite pcb

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

grndluxe
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

6v6s for lite IIb or superlite pcb

Post by grndluxe »

from the offerings of NEW 6v6 tubes--JJ, EH, Tung Sol RI, etc, what are opinions from members. i have a set of EH my amp now (amp was discussed at length in another thread) and they are pretty good. the amp has Sovtek 12ax7wa's and a Sovtek 5ar4 (right now i was trying a Sylvania NOS 5y3--sounds better to me). switching preamp tubes around with different ones would make the most difference. i'm going to hit ebay and start looking for some decent, affordableNOS. i seem to like Sylvania overall.
how much difference would a decent NOS 5ar4 rectifier tube make over the Sovtek?
thanks
my other reason for asking is that i am still interested in doing a superlite pcb, but will do it with 6v6s if i do. i just like 6v6s bettter than el84s
0 x

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

The 5AR4 is basically the same tube as a GZ34 so it will drive your voltage up quite bit.

The JJ 6V6's are good tubes that sound good. They can take voltage and are tough.

I haven't tried the Tung-Sol 6V6's yet but folks seems to like them. From what I've read they have a smooth, bluesy break up and are more quiet volume wise than the JJ's.

Ken
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

kd wrote:The 5AR4 is basically the same tube as a GZ34 so it will drive your voltage up quite bit.
As will Sovtek 5Y3s BTW. They're not true 5Y3s.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

grndluxe
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by grndluxe »

but is a Sovtek 5AR4 a true 5AR4? i know that the Sovtek 5Y3 jacks up the voltage. the amp calls for a 5AR4, but just for the time being i have an NOS Sylvania 5Y3 in it.
i get the feeling that as for 6V6s, short of buying some RCA blackplates, the consensus is to buy decent tubes and spend my money on preamp tubes and later on a speaker. close???
0 x