Newbie 6Eu7's

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil

AMZ
Unrated

Newbie 6Eu7's

Post by AMZ »

Does any one know a good source to get 6EU7 tubes?I have read they are no longer in production is this true?thanks in advance.
0 x

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

Sovtek currently produces the 6EU7 tubes,Tube Depot carries them. They may be the only ones making this tube at the time.

Ken
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

AMZ wrote:Does any one know a good source to get 6EU7 tubes?
You want to use 6EU7s in an 18W? I know it can be done of course, but good 12AX7s are so plentiful.
kd wrote:Sovtek currently produces the 6EU7 tubes...
Knowing the kind of things Sovtek does, it wouldn't surprise me if they turned out to actually be 12AX7s with the pins changed around to suit.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

AMZ
Unrated

Post by AMZ »

They are very similar but the pin out of the 6EU7 is a beter configuration for the point to point wiring I did on my amp.Also thanks kd for the info about Tube Depot.
0 x

Defdaddy

Post by Defdaddy »

Magnavox consoles from '61-63 used Mullard 6EU7s.

Sounds kind of obscure but Maggie made thousands upon thousands of them, and nowadays they're turning up on Craigslist (under Furniture), on the curb, at the dump, thrift stores, etc.

Buddy of mine got one last week for $9. That's three Mullard 6EU7s, four RCA 6V6s and a 6CA4 / EZ81 (also Mullard). I saw one at the dump not long ago and couldn't get to it before the crusher did, but I also have one of those amps, an 8800 series, in my stereo at home, and I've got a lead on another. You get a couple of 12" speakers to boot - you're nearly rockin'! It's like drinking cheap wine!

Def
0 x