EL84 vs E 84 L

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

brwnsnd
Unrated

EL84 vs E 84 L

Post by brwnsnd »

kinda new to all of this building up NOS tubes for 18watt lite and upcoming 18 watt TMB build,found some Telefunken(with made in france label) E 84 L tubes,they seem to work well in my lite,nice tone maybe a little brighter than the rca el84's was using,whats the difference between E 84 L and EL 84,planning on using them in amp with VVR mod,any problems
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

E84Ls are an "enhanced" version of the regular EL84, rated for higher plate voltage and dissipation. They're a direct replacement for EL84s. Never listened to them myself.
0 x

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

I have a bunch of them, various origins.
Old European true E84L's, 6P14P-EV wich were Russian tubes with a slightly higher dissipation capabilities (+0,5 watt haha 12W for EL84 ; 13,5 W for E84L and 14 for 6P14P-EV, according to their respective datasheets ) and use a pair of AEG E84L's
These ones are obviously from the same plant than the 6P14P-EV, only a little more shiny surfaces in them.
Overall, these tubes give more power (enough to be heard i mean) or at least "almost clean headroom", and are a little harsher when pushed than EL84.
Beside thaht, they are EL84s
0 x