NOS tubes valves help

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

kleuck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kleuck »

V1 does not always have the more influence, depending on, the design.V3 is the phase inverter.
0 x

jgab

Post by jgab »

To me, vintage tubes make a difference. I always bought new prod. tubes because I never had to work hard to get them. I searched around the internet and pulled in a few big hauls of vintage tubes for next to nothing.

With all my tubes, I then did a blind sound test keeping things as consistent as possible including what I played and how I played it.

In conclusion I found that the V1 posistion made the most difference; with vintage tubes sounding hands down better to me than new production. Keep in mind that I never knew which tube I had sampled until after I rated all of them.

I agree that certain tubes will sound better in certain amps. No one tube will sound the best in every amp.
0 x

snoof
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by snoof »

It does take a while to "develop" your ear for listening to tubes. It's not that the changes are super subtle, it's that you need to have experience in what to listen for and how to listen. Kinda like those 3-D pictures that you stare at and then "pow", you see the image. Your buddy is like, "it's right there, can't you see it", and you say, "no man, what are you talking about?".
0 x