best EF86 tubes

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

tinisuta
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

best EF86 tubes

Post by tinisuta »

I am about to build an EF86 variant of an 18W (based on Ceriatone's one). EF86 seem to be subject to microphonics, and product quality seems to vary greatly, making it hard to find 'good' EF86s.

What brand would you suggest to use ?
0 x

cl1093
Unrated

Post by cl1093 »

I have had good luck with the JJ EF806's, though I can't say it has been more than luck.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Amperex Bugle Boy EF86s are real good, and seem to be fairly free of microphonics.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

German Valvo EF86 is great sounding one 2 years in Vox ac30/4 style amp with no problem and it was bought used. Sometimes you'll find Valvo EF86 labeled Amperex.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, they're both basically Philips.
0 x

Snooty

Post by Snooty »

There are the Tung-sol EF806S and Wing C SED EF86. EH also has a EF86.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

What are those ones like for microphonics?
0 x

Freddy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Freddy »

I have used a couple of the Svetlana WIng C EF86 tubes but only in a head format. Tested for microphonics with the old pencil eraser tap test and they were OK in that regard. Not sure what would happen if they were getting beat up right next to a speaker night after night.
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

I've got a new production EH EF86. Only ever bought the one but it is a bit microphonic. Funny thing is that it seems to come and go.
0 x

Snooty

Post by Snooty »

Surprizingly I have not had any problems with any of the EF86 types like I do with 12ax7 varieties or EL34.

Another tube I have is the AEL EF86 aka as Dark-plate Mullard EL86 been going strong gigging for three years.
0 x

George60

Post by George60 »

This would fall into the 'for what it's worth catagory' but I just finished a Ceriatone 36W EF86 kit and I used a new Tung-Sol EF806. I bought the tube from the Tube Depot and it was supposedly tested for low microphonics. The tube does work. It is not microphonic and doesn't make any strange noises. I have no idea if the tone is good compared to other EF86's as it is the only one I have ever used but it sounds good to me. Not cheap, $42 USD.

I have two damping rings on the tube and there is a rubber ring between the tube socket and the chassis. See attached photo.

0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

Classically, the Z729 is the Holy Grail, made by GEC in the 50s. You do not see many of those ...

The pragmatic and practical NOS answers are Tesla EF806S, Philips group E80F, and the Russian 6zh32p / 6j32p. You find them on eBay regularly.

The Russki valves are a lot better than people give them credit for - 4000 hr minimum spec, and low microphony. I have some in my shed marked with CV numbers, 6267 and the UK government arrow!

I'm using these - and not just because they are cheap.
0 x

EnglishBob
Unrated

Post by EnglishBob »

Hi,
I built an 18W with a normal and EF86 channel - tried several (varyingly expensive Mullard etc) EF86 tubes, all of which were a bit microphonic for me. After reading something I think from AX84, I ended up using an EF83 -which was cheaper :-) It has the same pin-out but different values for gain and output impedance. I found it sounded great in the AC/4 style stock circuit without altering resistors etc and it wasn't microphonic, not sure how it differs in sound to an EF86 but I like it and tend to use this channel over the 12ax7 (normal) channel. As with all these things YMMV but just an idea.
Cheers Bob
0 x