Is this a Mullard

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil

DaveW
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Is this a Mullard

Post by DaveW »

I have just got a pair of EL34s off eBay. One is definitely a Blackburn Mullard xf3 the other is physically identical in every way (even got a hole in the locator) but has no codes.

Is has a label saying made for GEC, has anyone seen a Mullard EL34 with no codes?

0 x

p_christov

Post by p_christov »

It looks like xF4 Mullard cause it has 4 notches on the mica spacers. Maybe the codes have been rubbed off.
I can't tell from this picture only but if you say the construction is the same as Mullard it probably is one (the other EL34 always differ in some way).
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Have you tried the fridge/condensation trick to look for remnants of print?

Dd
0 x

DaveW
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the help guys

p_christov is spot on with the 4 mica contacts points so it looks like it is an xf4. Daviedawg thanks for the suggestion, I have now tried the condensation technique but still can't find any codes.

Dave
0 x

p_christov

Post by p_christov »

You can check also for manufacturer code on the printed GEC label. They were using the same codes as on the CV valves. For Blackburn it must be "DA" (look at the lower right corner).

I'm pretty sure it's a Mullard cause I haven't seen EL34 other than xF4 with four notches on the top mica.
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

It is possible that the code was printed on the base - try the fridge trick again, and look at the base, not the glass.

Then again, remember that GEC invented the EL34, and the Mullard version is a licensed copy ...
0 x