re good feedback on ge and russian mils!

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

sgtoverdrive
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

re good feedback on ge and russian mils!

Post by sgtoverdrive »

hello boys! hats off to the fellows here that showed interest in the ges i have i thought id post this email from a buddy in florida that has two ac 30s and a watkins dominater.my next build by the way will be an esoteric lookin suckah like that one is.that is what attracted me to the 18 in the first place the dominater,or peter greens use of one in early fleetwood mac recordings.anyhow....heres a word from a squared away marine about ge tubes! the sgt likes to hear this kinda stuff.as follows quote I took my Fawn AC30/6 to rehearsal tonight a few hours early (had been using my '67 Plexi). I tried out both sets of the GEs and even paired the Rusky's with 2 Soviet 7189s I had. Wow those GEs are beautiful. The first thing that hit me was how robust they were. They didn't just have a lot of gain, but they had a lot of rich vocal quality. My AC30s have a lot of gain and they distort fairly early on, so what they need is a rich creamy tube that's going to have a smooth glassy quality along with its ability to distort evenly. These tubes definately have that. I'm sold! I left the black plates in. After a few weeks I'll switch to the grey plates. Both sets were very similar, with the blacks appearing to have a tad bit more of that clean top end. I noticed immediately how articulate thet were. That's important in an AC30, which can get real gainy anyway. And if you use tubes that just break up but lack definition you lose the real beauty of the amp. The Rusky's were similar, and put out some serious hard gain. VERY nice. They almost have a kind of EL34 thickness to them. In an amp with a medium amount of gain these will kick it up a notch or two. I can just imagine what they sound like in an 18w circuit. Actually, I'm getting the Dominator back soon, so I'll find out. They rocked in the AC30.
Gone Tubing...
Nick the sgt has tears in his eyes when he sees one of his weapons gettin used proper ....and them jjs back in the drawer where they belong so as not to put a hurtin on the royal ear.here is nicks dominater god loves this guy cause he pretty much has got it all !!!
0 x