Mark Durham Memorial 18watt Raffle

In memory of Mark

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Graydon

Reason
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reason »

jas wrote:I've wanted to help since I heard the news, and at first thought was going to donate partial proceeds of an amp/cabinet that I've been trying to sell for a while. After talking with my lovely wife about it, we have decided to donate the whole amp to the raffle -
jas,

I'm astounded by your generosity. At the same time however, I feel that this is above and beyond what can be expected of a forum buddy. How about you just pledge to cover shipping of the completed project? I just worry about the precedent that this sets.

If you truly have the resources to make such a contribution, the by all means, proceed.
0 x
Anthony Bonadio
Reason Amplifier Company
www.reasonamps.com
Stage Craft Cabinets
www.stagecraftgear.com

drew
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by drew »

X-R2 wrote: Note to the organizers of this raffle: we need to address shipping of the finished amp. It is implied that the contributors will pay to ship their stuff to who ever builds this, but what about shipping to its final destination?
I think it's reasonable to expect the winner(s) to be responsible for the final destination shipping costs.
0 x

bevins
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by bevins »

A little perspective:

Equipment to Raffle:

18watt or Varja build
jk - Epiphone Les Paul guitar
jas - 100watt head w/4x12 cab
wiggle - jtm45 head complete no cab
(would be nice to get a box for the jtm45)

18watt Build donations

X-R2 - combo cab
bevins - TMB chassis
HeeGBG - set sammi speakers
trout - set of JJ's
chriswu101 - pots
brownnote - TMB faceplate, teflon wire, indicator lite, mechanical
hardware
Nitroliq - design/graphics
Dana-L - Chicken head knobs
slowlearner - brass vent material
sweetwood - mullard ef86
GroundPath - amp cover
dnichols - 2 el84 NOS mullard, jj 12ax7's
EBE - turret/eyelet board built
doctornorbert - ef86 miniwatt
bender - Carling on/off /on polarity switch
sgtoverdrive - tubes, tubes and tubes
bender - set of Polams
S2 - remaining parts required

Builders: dartonion, S2, markH

This is what we have donated for the raffle.

Kennygtr suggested we build Mark D's Varja amp.
Anthony thinks we should stick with an 18watt.

Both are good ideas but we have to decide on what we are going to build. Who is going to build it and getting all parts together so the builder can get it done.

Anthony brought up about the cost of sending an amp across the pond.
Does anyone know what the cost would be to ship an amp across the pond? How are we going to fund this, and the shipping of the other goodies, is something we have to think about.

As I see it we could do a big raffle with four prizes.

1. the build
2. the les paul
3. the 100watt amp
4. the jtm45

If I missed anything let us know.
Last edited by bevins on Sun 07/30/06 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

lastwinj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lastwinj »

i guess i am bit late. looks like everything is taken care. let me know if you need anything else. i have about 100,000 parts in stock.

jeremy
0 x
Jeremy Ledford
Builder Extroardinaire
Scinnimin on Ebay

sgtoverdrive
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by sgtoverdrive »

i am so sorry and shocked at this tragedy! its like being slapped awake,mark was a stand up guy and fine builder ,not to mention a wealth of information.it seems only fitting to donate good tubes to this cause.so dart you can count the sgt in on the glass works .i just heard this and my heart goes out to his daughter in critical.i cannot imagine what his wife is going thru at this point in time.when we lose someone like that we are all gonna feel it one way or the other.my hopes and prayers go out to his surviving family.just tell me where to send em . ive gone thru some tribulations as of late but im ashamed to mention any of it in comparison to this . once again we lose one of our own and feel the fragility of this life.we should be made out of wire n horn rather then flesh n blood.sgt 0d
0 x

sgtoverdrive
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by sgtoverdrive »

in response to shippnig the sgt knows a good deal about this. 25 kilo limit on parcel force dhl i usually get it in 4 days at about 135 american.provided its under the 60- something lbs for shipping .not really all that dramatic .dhl has done a fine job of this contrary to some things floatin around.sgt od ...
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Hi guys,

I have been reading but just haven't had time to post. Besides, I don't really know what to say anyway. You guys are incredible. This is certainly the best amp board on the web.

I will contribuite chassis and trannys as needed. I vote that we have one of the charter members do the build if they want to. MarkH or Richie are good choices. Personally, I don't know if I can do it because I think I'd get too choked up. I'm also really swamped right now at home.

I will be happy to organize the raffle. We did this once before and it worked out very well. Let's get the products settled and then we'll start selling raffle tickets. A first and second prize is not a problem at all. I like the idea of a raffle too because then even a poor person who can only afford one ticket at least has a chance of winning this fantastic prize.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

allynmey
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by allynmey »

Paper or electronic tickets? This could be mailing situation if we sell thosands! Count me in for a fistful of tickets and any parts you lack. I have a few! :wink:

Allyn
0 x

billv
Poster Child

Post by billv »

I've got so little to contribute part-wise, compared to everyone else.. :oops:

If there's anything that involves web work of any type, let me know - I'm good for it. In particular, if we use PayPal to sell a large # of raffle tickets, I have a solution that would help manage the volume.

(Edit: Bob, if you are the list keeper, there's a pair of Polams thrown in as well along with everyone else's contributions)
0 x

archtop

Post by archtop »

If there is enough parts for more than one build... would it appropriate to build a standard 18 watt to raffle, and a tribute Varja as a gift for his family to keep from the 18 watt forum?
0 x

chevalij

Post by chevalij »

Just an odd thought... how much gear did markd have? How many 18watters and various other goodies. Do you think his family needs another amp around the house? I've just gone through a recent family death, and trying to get rid of personal effects is a pain in the a$$.

Not trying be be rude or sound like a grave robber, and I don't know markd or his family, but is it possible we may be able to auction some of his items for cash?
0 x

Trout
_

Post by Trout »

chevalij wrote:Just an odd thought... how much gear did markd have? How many 18watters and various other goodies. Do you think his family needs another amp around the house? I've just gone through a recent family death, and trying to get rid of personal effects is a pain in the a$$.

Not trying be be rude or sound like a grave robber, and I don't know markd or his family, but is it possible we may be able to auction some of his items for cash?
Auction is the plan, This build and contributions are going to be used to generate a $$$$ gift to the family, Not more equipment for them to deal with, which I am sure would be very emotionally hard.

Perhaps one of the Mods or admins could write up a sticky on this subject explaining the intent of this build and auction, This way guys that have not read, or have no desire to read this entire thread will understand exactly what this is about and why.

I am sure it will also help the hundereds of guests that visit especially when it comes time to actually start selling tickets.

Trout
0 x

jcny

Post by jcny »

I don't want to throw a blanket on this worthy cause, but I remember some issues regarding raffles and sending tickets through the mail from an organization I belonged to.

I believe the wording had to be made so that all proceeds were donations without promise of reward. This may be a NY state only issue but maybe should be checked out.

Can someone check on this so all goes smoothly?

I'm in when the tickets are available.
0 x

Trout
_

Post by Trout »

bender wrote:I've got so little to contribute part-wise, compared to everyone else.. :oops:

If there's anything that involves web work of any type, let me know - I'm good for it. In particular, if we use PayPal to sell a large # of raffle tickets, I have a solution that would help manage the volume.

(Edit: Bob, if you are the list keeper, there's a pair of Polams thrown in as well along with everyone else's contributions)
On top of using PayPal, It appears that eBay does indeed allow the sales of raffle tickets. I know that I happened upon the Raffler build Via ebay and it lead me to the Musicians Releif Site as well as the AX84 site.

Here is an example of a current raffle on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RAFFLE-TICKET_W0QQi ... dZViewItem

Another thought, If we end up with 2 many items, The overflow " Could " be auctioned on ebay. Though it would require someone to handle the items for packaging and shipping, It would still beef up the funds we are trying to raise for the Family.
Trout
0 x

bitsandvolts
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by bitsandvolts »

bevins wrote: As I see it we could do a big raffle with four prizes.

1. the build
2. the les paul
3. the 100watt amp
4. the jtm45

If I missed anything let us know.

The solution to this is very easy...

The raffle will have FOUR different winners...There should be a seperate drawing for the first prize, the second prize, the 3rd, the 4th.....

If shipping costs were an issue, perhaps the winner would be expected to kick in a bit. given that he/she would be getting a nice piece of gear for the cost of a raffle ticket...i think it's only fair.

Regardlss, 4 different prizes just increased anyone's chances to win 4 fold. Actually, the odds slightly increase with each successive drawing, as the winner of the previous drawing is subsequently pulled from the pool. But we don't have to get into particulars...

The fact of the matter is that a raffle ticket has 4 chances of winning...and I think that in itself would attract more people to buy tickets....and more of them...

Ultimately resulting in more of a collection for Mark's family.
0 x

Trout
_

Post by Trout »

jcny wrote:I don't want to throw a blanket on this worthy cause, but I remember some issues regarding raffles and sending tickets through the mail from an organization I belonged to.

I believe the wording had to be made so that all proceeds were donations without promise of reward. This may be a NY state only issue but maybe should be checked out.

Can someone check on this so all goes smoothly?

I'm in when the tickets are available.
Here is a website that lists state by state raffle laws.

I have no idea how these affect us on this type of internet raffle, But I agree, someone more legal minded than I should check into it.

http://www.ticketprinting.com/Raffle_Ti ... tLaws.aspx

Trout
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

A couple of thoughts...

1. If we are building a Vajra, it will need custom face plates for its extra features. I will be happy to supply a set of laser engraved gold aluminum plates custom drawn to fit the final chassis.

2. I would be honored to build the amp. I would be even more honored if Kenny would have time to spend half a day in the home studio recording some killer clips of the finished product.

3. Do we have a cabinet yet? Swanson built the original Vajra head cab in green levant.

4. I do think we should do the Vajra. He was very proud of that amp, and I don't see any reason to build something other than one of his designs. It isn't one of the easier amps to build, but I would be happy to take it on.
Last edited by s2 on Sun 07/30/06 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

bitsandvolts
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by bitsandvolts »

This shouldn't be that complicated...there was a raffle here just before I joined...IIRC.

If someone is going to get all legal-nitty-witty-bitty in a scenario such as this, where we are honoring a great person that has recently passed...he/she needs to be soaked in a pool of salt water after receiving 1000 razor cuts... :evil:
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

chevalij wrote:Just an odd thought... how much gear did markd have? How many 18watters and various other goodies. Do you think his family needs another amp around the house? I've just gone through a recent family death, and trying to get rid of personal effects is a pain in the a$$.

I've thought about this myself. I was planning--after his family has plenty of time to recover--to offer to handle the sale of his collection (if that is their desire) to make sure they get what they should for each individual piece of gear. It would be easy to lose a lot of money on his stuff, and I would like to prevent that from happening. No charge, of course.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

X-R2 wrote:If we want to raise as much money for Marks family, we should build this for a broad appeal. While it is a touching tribute to have Marks mug on an amp, it might hurt ticket sales among those who didn't know him.
I've been thinking about this and agree somewhat. When I mentioned doing something with the image, I wasn't thinking of plastering a huge silkscreened picture of his head on a cab or badge instead of a nameplate. Something less intrusive. We can do regular faceplates and nameplate (Vajra) if we're leaning that way and just include an alternate MD badge the same size or include a subtle reference to MD on the rear plate or something. If not this, then what about including some kind of stylized "amp tag" pamphlet about Mark and has influence? Each winner would get one. Whatever you want...just let me know. It's a shame more of us aren't brilliant songwriters, we could include a CD.
Last edited by NitroLiq on Sun 07/30/06 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x