Post by LarryLarry »

What a beauty! It's simply awesome. Just call me Lucky LarryLarry :P
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Hey Larry!!!

Congrats!!! That's a beauty in itself!!!

Please send us a picture with you hugging it! :wink:

Gabi.
0 x

morcey2
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by morcey2 »

LarryLarry wrote:What a beauty! It's simply awesome. Just call me Lucky LarryLarry :P
Wouldn't that be LuckyLucky LarryLarry?

I still think a layer of tolex would protect that beautiful wood nicely. :twisted:

Matt.
0 x

LarryLarry
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LarryLarry »

Amp hugging photos will indeed be posted!

Right now, you can call me anything you want. I just may not hear you... :biggrin:
0 x

LarryLarry
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LarryLarry »

Just got back from meeting Sweetwood (Glenn) at the NAMM show and picking up my booty :D Thanks Glenn!

And special thanks to Dartanion for getting it to him for the journey down to So. Cal. - not to mention the bitchin' cabinets!

I'll be plugging it in in just a bit...
0 x

Spankenstrat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Spankenstrat »

OOOH Meee sooo Hooonney.
Hooowsekeeping.
Fluff yooo pillooowww!
Me luv yo longtime!

O.K. I hate you!

Congrats!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

LarryLarry
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LarryLarry »

Well, if it makes you feel any better Spankenstrat (aren't you 'spossed to spank a Tele?), I didn't actually make it -into- the NAMM show.

Here's why. (Have you got kleenex handy?) My wife and I had tickets and got down there about noon. However, we are foster parents (for the last 3 years) and just got a 21 month old little girl yesterday (Danyale, see cookie photo). What a sweetheart! Of course we had to bring her with us but we just couldn't see taking her into that mass hysteria considering what she's been through. So, we drove home and then my son and I drove back down around 5:00 and met up with Sweetwood.

Now back to amp stuff. This JTM45 sounds simply awesome. I loaded up the cab with 2 Celestion Vintage 30's since I haven't got the Scumbacks yet. Long story short (I promise pix and clips this weekend), I ended up with it running through a Sholz Power Soak back 1 notch (-3dB). Channels jumpered, Treble channel volume on 7, Bass channel volume off (but it still adds more gain).

I'm so freakin' lucky...
0 x

rectifier
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by rectifier »

LarryLarry wrote:However, we are foster parents (for the last 3 years) and just got a 21 month old little girl yesterday (Danyale, see cookie photo). What a sweetheart! I'm so freakin' lucky...
congrats again for your 2 new additions! One is a beauty and the other a real cutie! You are Freakin' Lucky Larry Lawrence!!! :D
0 x
Time waits for no one...so play yer guitar whenever you can!

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

WOW IS SHE CUTE OR WHAT!!!!!

Your are a very lucky man!!!!

Can't wait to hear your clips.
0 x

geekmacdaddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by geekmacdaddy »

Great Story Larry! Congrats on both. I must've just missed you, as I met Sweetwood yesterday, and he told me you were expected. Best of luck with both new additions.
0 x

LarryLarry
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LarryLarry »

Maybe I should do some blind clips of:

JTM 45
Lite IIb
5E3 clone

We can find out how good everyone's ears are... :wink:

Should I do them all through the same speaker(s)?
0 x

Sweetwood
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Sweetwood »

Larry! Great meeting you. She is a cutie. Can't say I wasn't tempted hold that thing ransom, but you deserve it. Perfect for a Bad Co. tribute.

Geek...you too.

It is so fun meeting people in this forum. Great folks, truly.

-Glenn
0 x

kerrynet32
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kerrynet32 »

Great stuff Larry. What a nice amp rig you have (18watt Lite, JTM45, and 5E3). Definately do the blind clips and throught the same speakers would be nice.

Contrats on the equiptment and the daughter :wink:
0 x

LarryLarry
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LarryLarry »

Just a quick update. Well, maybe not that quick...

I was a little concerned that the amp was getting hot so I pulled the chassis to check the bias. I was getting 350vac at the rectifier as expected and about 430vdc on the plates of the KT66s which I thought was fine. One of the KT66s was at 32mA (about where it should be) and the other was at 93mA!!! So I swapped the tubes and and the high reading stayed with the same KT66. So, bad tube I determine. Got a new set of KT66s from Guitar Center (from the 'back' with no box...) and one of them was DOA. The other, however matched within a couple of mA of the one with the very high reading. So I was thinking the tube that read 32mA was the good one but now I'm thinking it was the bad one. Just for a reference, I put in a pair of old Tung Sol 5881s and they too are both reading very high - in the 86mA range. Bear in mind I've got the bias pot cranked and can't get them down any lower. So, I'm looking at the bias circuit and see that the 1st resistor is 220k and the schem calls for 180k. I check the voltage at the V of the 2 220k resistors that feed to pins 5 of the KT66s and I'm getting around -25 volts. This looks way off from the readings I'm seeing on JTM45 voltage charts.

So I lower the 220k bias resistor to 180k and now my readings are around 55mA. Much closer! I took it down to 120k and voila, I can get both the KT66s and 5881s in the 35mA range with room to go either way on the bias pot.

So, I'm wondering (maybe Wiggle can jump in here), maybe the bias was set to the "bad" tube that had the 32mA reading? I know the original GZ34 got broken in transit. Maybe that had some bearing here. (I did try 3 different GZ34s to double check everything).

So, the verdict is that now the amp isn't freaking me out that the head cab will catch fire and it sounds AWESOME!!! :D

I have 2 V30s in the 2x12 cab for now until I get the Scumbacks - hopefully this weekend. After I get them I'll record it and post the clips...
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Hey Larry,

Coolio!!!

While I am not a huge fan of V30's, they probably sound great in that cab as I designed it to be a bit bass heavy.

Can't wait for some clips!!
0 x

LarryLarry
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LarryLarry »

It is a very very good sounding cabinet Dartanion. I have an Avatar 2x12 cabinet to compare it to and yours sounds way less boomy. It's also warmer and less ear-fatiguing.

I can't wait to get the Scumbacks in there!
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Larry,

Glad you like it. I actually am going to miss it a lot as it was my primary gigging cab. Now I just have to kick this flu so I can get to building myself another :D
0 x