Fender blue molded cap equivalent

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

95strat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Fender blue molded cap equivalent

Post by 95strat »

Out of the modern capacitors that are available, which ones are the closest equivalent to the old blue molded ones in blackface Fender amps?
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

My guess would be Mallory 150s. I think those blue caps were polyester film of some kind, but I'm not sure.

I do know I cloned a 1965 Twin, placed them side by side, and the clone sounded dead nuts on (except a little quieter). So I would imagine 150s are close enough to get the job done.

I've also used them in a lot of DRRI rebuilds and would not be able to identify which amp was which in a blind test through the same speaker if compared with an original.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

95strat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by 95strat »

Those are the same caps used in tweed amps too then right?

I've asked these questions because 1) I'm working on my '67 Super and if I find that one of those caps is bad I'll need to replace it, and 2) I'm also toying with the idea of building a 5E3 and could then order all the parts I need at once.

Thanks,
Phil
0 x

steveh
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by steveh »

You could also consider Sprague orange drops - these work pretty well in Fender style circuits IME.
0 x

95strat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by 95strat »

Orange drops are brighter and tighter sounding where the 150s are warmer and mellower, correct?
0 x

Andrew4566
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Andrew4566 »

For your information: I have slavaged approx. 60 of those blue molded caps and have not found one to be faulty. In fact very tight to spec is the norm from my experience.

-Andy
0 x

jckid66
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jckid66 »

Andrew,
if you have that many caps floating around you might want to sell a few on flea bay :wink: or even sell them here.. :D

Bill
0 x

jem

Post by jem »

jckid66 wrote:Andrew,
if you have that many caps floating around you might want to sell a few on flea bay :wink: or even sell them here.. :D

Bill
Or better yet, just send them to me.

For something ot value of course 8O
0 x

Trout
_

Post by Trout »

There is a guy on ebay that markets reproduction caps, He has all kinds of caps including the blue ones used in some Fender amps.

If he does not have the exact value listed on ebay, You could try contacting him to see if he can hook you up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Late-60s-Early-70s- ... dZViewItem

Trout
0 x

LooseChange
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LooseChange »

It's a "reproduction"!!! What the heck is that??? A Mallory 150 covered with wax and painted blue?
0 x

Bluesmechanic
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Fender blue molded cap equivalent

Post by Bluesmechanic »

95strat wrote:Out of the modern capacitors that are available, which ones are the closest equivalent to the old blue molded ones in blackface Fender amps?

Attaching an article where someone called Dr.Z claims the blue molded caps are "The Cap" Please don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger. :D
0 x

Andrew4566
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Andrew4566 »

For me part of it is the thrill of the hunt...my wife rolls her eyes as I pick the "junk" from the curb...there's treasure in them parts!

organs, console stereos, B+W TV's, old electrical test equipment can often be had for free.

I got a non-working console stereo that had like 40 of those moldeds in it.
0 x

soundmasterg

Post by soundmasterg »

Those "molded" caps are great. I've only seen one that was leaky, and I've pulled lots of them from old organs and worked on quite a few fenders with them in there. I'm using some in my current build in two areas, but if I had to use a modern cap that sounds like them, the M150 would be my choice.
0 x

steveh
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by steveh »

95strat wrote:Orange drops are brighter and tighter sounding where the 150s are warmer and mellower, correct?
That's what people claim, yes. I've used both and IMO speaker and circuit choice play a much bigger part in the sound - the differences are very subtle.
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

I always thought the blue molded caps were paper-in-oil types, and I was pretty sure the old Astrons were too.

One "boutique" builder specializing in 5E3's used to have a limited stock of the blue caps for sale for ONE-HUNDRED-FIFTEEN DOLLARS apiece! I kid you not! But not anymore, I guess he sold out! :roll:
0 x

soundmasterg

Post by soundmasterg »

I think the old Astrons are paper and wax and polyester just like the moldeds are, but almost every one of the old yellow and red Astrons that I've seen are leaky. I'll take the molded caps any day of the week, but I don't want anything to do with old Astrons.....
0 x