What's the best way a home brew can cut holes/laydown PT?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

BBQLS1
Old timer, Never stops talking
Old timer, Never stops talking

What's the best way a home brew can cut holes/laydown PT?

Post by BBQLS1 »

Well, I don't have a big punch press to make the holes, so what is the next best thing that will leave a clean straight hole?
0 x
Don´t ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answers you want me to.

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

I drill a series of holes around the interior of the finished hole knock out the inner section. Then I clean it up with a file. This is much easier on aluminum than steel.
0 x

spyder
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by spyder »

Hey,I use a large unibit to make a starter hole ,then use a jig saw with a metal cutting blade.You can smoth up the cut out with a file,I use a chainsaw file.Unibits make fairly clean round holes that are good for tube sockets,pots,jacks and switches.Spyder
0 x

Pepi
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Pepi »

I use a dremel with a cut-off fiber wheel. Drill 4 holes and cut the rest.
0 x

martinw
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by martinw »

+1 on the Dremel.

I'd really miss mine now.

Wear safety glasses! 8)
0 x

floridajack
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

non-round holes in chassis

Post by floridajack »

+1 on the dremel - i have a series of templates that i use with the dremel and rotary file bit to zap out non-round holes in aluminum chassis. the xformer, the power connector, marshall-type rocker on-off switches, etc. anything that can't be cut with my unibits. set the dremel up as a router and size your template (mine are 3/8" hdf) to compensate for the "bearing sleeve." a little file work to make square corners, and your done. dremel even sells some rotary file bits with drill points on them - how conveinent!!

fj
0 x

Andrew4566
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Andrew4566 »

I have used a coping saw with fine results on aluminum. Drill a starter hole, feed the blade through. cheap and easy.

-Andy
0 x

Andrew4566
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Andrew4566 »

I have used a coping saw with fine results on aluminum. Drill a starter hole, feed the blade through. cheap and easy.

-Andy
0 x

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mchauck »

+++++1 on the router type templates. I use my router with a 3/8" straight cut but (carbide of course) with a 3/8" roller bearing set on top. I use templates made of plywood for each particular hole. Even if you're going to make only one amp, the templates are easy to adjust for perfect size in the wood and then cutting in the aluminum is a breeze. Perfect hole every time. Uni-bits for the smaller round holes, larger Sterrett hole saws for the larger round holes. You can't go wrong like this and it really is cool to cut a perfect hole in the alum every time. Do wear your glasses though!!!!

Regards
BH
0 x

tunghaichuan
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by tunghaichuan »

I use small Makita laminate trimmer with a 1/2" flush cutting bit with a guide bearing on top. I make templates out of 1/2" thick MDF. Great for cutting holes in aluminum. I wouldn't use a router bit to cut steel though.

One down side is that routing aluminum creates lots of tiny aluminum chips which can be a major PITA to clean up.

As always, wear hearing protection and safety glasses when using routers/laminate trimmers.

tung
0 x
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

Guess I'm the only one who uses a hacksaw!
0 x

beamer

Post by beamer »

I drilled four holes for the rounded corners, then used a portable jigsaw (saber saw?) with a metal cutting blade. This was on steel.
scott
0 x

redmax61
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by redmax61 »

Cut mine this morning. I drilled 3/4" holes in the corners, and cut the rest with a course file. I'm using .090 aluminum, and it really didn't take that long to cut.
0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

Dremel +1
0 x

benjoi

Post by benjoi »

+1 Dremel
0 x

davent
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davent »

mchauck wrote:+++++1 on the router type templates. I use my router with a 3/8" straight cut but (carbide of course) with a 3/8" roller bearing set on top. I use templates made of plywood for each particular hole. Even if you're going to make only one amp, the templates are easy to adjust for perfect size in the wood and then cutting in the aluminum is a breeze. Perfect hole every time. Uni-bits for the smaller round holes, larger Sterrett hole saws for the larger round holes. You can't go wrong like this and it really is cool to cut a perfect hole in the alum every time. Do wear your glasses though!!!!

Regards
BH
Silvatone has a great pictorial on making and using a template and router to do the large square holes.

http://www.silvatone.bravepages.com/

Router tutorial.

http://www.silvatone.bravepages.com/Tut ... Cutout.htm

dave

edit; personally haven't tried this yet, I've always used my Dremel for any cutouts in aluminum boxes. Have made a plywood template for IEC power sockets but it's still awaiting christening.
Last edited by davent on Tue 05/01/07 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mchauck »

yea....dats da tickit!!!!!

BH
0 x

Mugford
Unrated

Post by Mugford »

For those of you using a router, do you use any kind of lubricant? Also, do you run the router at full speed? I've heard that you can cut aluminum at woodworking tool speeds, but I've never tried it myself with anything other than a drill.

I can see where you'd end up with lots of aluminum bits to clean up.

Personally, I use a Klein tools nibbler for this stuff. It's not too accurate, not too slow, and not too fast, but it gets the job done without too much hassle. I can clean up the holes with a file without too much trouble.
0 x

LooseChange
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by LooseChange »

I drill large corner holes that match the radius on the PT.
Then I use a nibbler all around. Very little filing and I'm done.
I make all my chassis out of steel.
0 x

JeffE

Post by JeffE »

+1 on the nibbler. Very handy for straight line cuts.
0 x