Looking for schematic or odd layout.

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

Yes. Use three 22uF 450V filter caps instead of what is shown and use a single 5Y3 rectifier instead of 2 in parallel.

You can use either preamp tube. I just wanted to experiment with the octal, so I did. It sounded really cool (fat!), but it has a gain structure similar to a 12AU7, so it is a lot cleaner than with a 12AX7.

Also, 6SN7s tend to be noisy and microphonic unless you can find a good RCA red base or the like.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

hartwell

Post by hartwell »

Hey S2,

I know you mentioned you built the Super SE 6V6 amp years ago (and this might be a long shot) but I don't suppose you have a gut shot or layout lying around? I've tried to draw up a layout myself but am getting hung up on a couple of things.

Thanks,
Sean
0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

The 6SN7's I have are RCA and very good, so I think I'll go the same way as you. Does any of the resister values have to be changed in conjunction with the tubes. Changing to 1 rectifier and changing to a 6SN7?
thanks in advance.
Having fun here, that's the name of the game. 8O :D :D :lol:
Jac
0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

S2 are you still out there?
I am going to finish this tonight. Just wondering about the resisters. I'll variac it up, but still don't want to take a chance.
Thanks, jac
0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

Just noticed the choke a 5H /125mA. S2 did you use one in your build?
Thanks
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

hartwell wrote:Hey S2,

I know you mentioned you built the Super SE 6V6 amp years ago (and this might be a long shot) but I don't suppose you have a gut shot or layout lying around? I've tried to draw up a layout myself but am getting hung up on a couple of things.

Thanks,
Sean
Sorry, but I don't. I lost a hard drive in 2004 and lost almost all of the photos of amps I built before then.

But you can cruise over to the Fender Field Guide and look up the 5F2 layout. It is very similar and should provide a good place to start.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

jac wrote:The 6SN7's I have are RCA and very good, so I think I'll go the same way as you. Does any of the resister values have to be changed in conjunction with the tubes. Changing to 1 rectifier and changing to a 6SN7?
thanks in advance.
Having fun here, that's the name of the game. 8O :D :D :lol:
Jac
No. You can use the same resistor values. It is the same as if you were plugging a 12AU7 in place of a 12AX7. It isn't quite ideal, but it certainly works well.

Essentially, the 12AU7 is the miniature replacement for the 6SN7 when tube makers went from large bottle octals to smaller units to reduce noise and microphonics.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

jac wrote:Just noticed the choke a 5H /125mA. S2 did you use one in your build?
Thanks
I think I used something like a 4.7K resistor instead. You can safely use whatever is on the 5F2 schematic in place of the choke. Actually, anything bigger than 500R will work depending on how you want your voltages to work out.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

tunghaichuan
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by tunghaichuan »

s2 wrote:Essentially, the 12AU7 is the miniature replacement for the 6SN7 when tube makers went from large bottle octals to smaller units to reduce noise and microphonics.
I believe the 6CG7/6FQ7 was the 9-pin mini based replacement for the octal 6SN7:

http://www.triodeel.com/rca_c13.gif

The 12AU7 is close, but not identical.

tung
0 x
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

hartwell

Post by hartwell »

s2 wrote:
But you can cruise over to the Fender Field Guide and look up the 5F2 layout. It is very similar and should provide a good place to start.
Cheers for this.

Anyone tried different OT's on this - Angela recommends Fender. Any known difference with Hammond 125*SE line?
0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

I'm using the RCA PT and OT that came with this junkyard. It'll be curious to see the voltages when it comes online. Of course I'll variac it up. Gotta protect the parts. :D

Thanks for the help S2. I already ordered the chokes so I'm going to run with those now.
This is going to be 1 packed little chassis :lol: :lol:
I'd love to see a terminal board gut shot from someone. But oh well, make do with what you have.

Thanks guys. :D
0 x

DowdyLama

Post by DowdyLama »

+1 on the Super Angela - and, make sure you try 6EZ5s in it!

I used the Hammond 125ESE output transformer.
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

jac wrote: I'd love to see a terminal board gut shot from someone. But oh well, make do with what you have.

Thanks guys. :D
It is essentially the same as my Princeton. Just imagine an extra 6V6 in parallel.

http://s2amps.phanfare.com/album/55997#imageID=2646257
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com