Using a Zener Diode to Regulate Heaters?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

sjfirebird
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by sjfirebird »

If your house voltage is consistantly high, how about using a variac.
0 x

Strat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Strat »

If you drop the voltage on one leg would it not be better to ignore the centre-tap on the PT wind and use the two 100R's and form one 'downstream' of the dropper (diodes or resistor).
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

If your house voltage is consistantly high, how about using a variac.

That is by far the simplest solution. I need to get one of those anyway...
If you drop the voltage on one leg would it not be better to ignore the centre-tap on the PT wind and use the two 100R's and form one 'downstream' of the dropper (diodes or resistor).
I would think so but also that you wouldn't want to use 100 ohm resistors, I think you would want to accomodate your resistor values to the voltage difference between the two legs or use a pot. I know of a source for cheap linear 2 watt 200 ohm screwdriver-turned shaft pots, but I'm forbidden from mentioning it on this forum. ;)
0 x

Wannatone
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Wannatone »

Mooreamps wrote:
Alexo wrote:
I suppose I could cobble up some kind of a diode based clipper circuit that would clip the top of the sine wave above some value, like 6.5 vac.

-g
Just think a little bit about it... The only thing limiting the current when clipping is active will be the heater winding resistance of your transformer plus your wiring and the internal diode resistance. You're more or less getting close to short-circuit operation when the circuit is clipping. Not good for your tranny, and it might even blow the mains fuse...
That's actually the main design fault of the initial schematic.

IMHO the whole thread appears not any helpful for a beginner who's trying to learn basic electronics.

If you follow that path, the next problem to fix will probably be the excessive anode voltage in your amp.

Why not just use a dropper tranny do get the wall voltage down by 6 or 12 volts. That way you'd get everything working properly inside your amp, and you wouldn't have to rip the whole crap out when you're moving the amp to a different place where the wall voltage is more 'normal'...
You could also use a variac of course.

Get the problem fixed at its source, not elsewhere... (given it's a problem at all when the heater voltage is still within the specification limits...)
0 x

jem

Post by jem »

Sounds like one of those Furman or APC power conditioner/regulator would work. Bad side is $$ and another piece of equipment to lug around and protect.
0 x