big bad bass (well for me anyway) amp

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

floridajack
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

big bad bass (well for me anyway) amp

Post by floridajack »

hi folks,

i've got a line on a hiwatt 200. i would like to use it as a bass amp. comments?

fj
0 x

tarzanalog
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by tarzanalog »

Ummm... YEAH!
0 x

GTRWUN
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by GTRWUN »

I never met a Hiwatt I didnt like! Snag that baby up....Steve 8O
0 x

Wicksy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wicksy »

As long as you can make do with a paltry 200 watts i'm sure ot would do :wink:

Get it! Then post pictures for us to drool over! :lol:
0 x

floridajack
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

hiwatt

Post by floridajack »

well folks,

i took my schecter 6-string bass (passive emg's) and plugged in to the amp. i run my bass amp through a pair of peavy spyder 1x12 ported bass cabs. the closest thing the store had was a 2x12 gk 400w cabinet - close enough, dont you think??

impressions: 200 watts of tube power is much louder than my peavey sessionbass 250 ss amp. it is also warmer and more responsive to pick (or in this case - finger) attack. loved the sound. i could go from squeaky clean to jack bruce growl without changing any amp settings. niiice!!

now the bad news - this amp has seen a rough life. the original front valence is gone - replaced by a piece of black painted 3/8" plywood. the original hiwatt nameplate has been replaced by a (nicely made) phenolic replica plate - probably made at a trophy shop. the innards are a mess. it works, but it has been repaired and abused many times. not worth the $2500.00 price tag. i'm thinking about making an offer of about $1000.00 and doing a complete restoration. i know mark huss has a lot of info on hiwattts. what do you think? worth it?

fj
0 x

GTRWUN
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by GTRWUN »

Man thats a tough one for me. you say the inards are a mess? Ill never understand why someone would mess with a piece of craftmanship like that.....whatever. The transformers if original, are worth some money for sure. Sounds like its pretty bad condition though. I suppose if you have the bones to throw down on a restoration after the initial purchase? Maybe you dont care about the cosmetics and you just want the tone.....thats what its all about anyway and this sounds like a substantial upgrade from your other amp.........anyone else??????
0 x

thegipper

Post by thegipper »

pass!
0 x

floridajack
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

hiwatt

Post by floridajack »

yeah, i went back and took another look - original xformers and chassis - that's about it. everything else looks like it has been replaced - all kinds of different resistors, caps and even different brands of pots in there :(

i tool a look at the schematic - it would be a major repair job to bring it back - too much for a mere mortal mechanical engineer. it does sound good, though.

fj
0 x