Newbie needs help w/Voxy VJ

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

dram56
Unrated

Post by dram56 »

If you look at the layout you'll see the "ground" side of the circuit starts at the top of the diodes to the top of C6, then to C9, then to C7. Then it is jumpered under the board to C5/R14/R5.

With the power off, check for continuity starting at the top of the diodes to each of the points I just mentioned. I would bet you have a bad connection somewhere in that path. Probably at the jumper that goes from C7 to C5.

If you have power coming in along the bottom of the circuit getting to the EL84 tube, but no power at pins 1 & 6 of the 12AX tube, you will get the symptoms that you are describing. Just a lot of hum, no input coming from the guitar and the hum doesn't change with the volume pot.

Just start at the beginning of the chain and work your way through. You'll find it.

Dave
0 x

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

Thanks for the suggestions, I sure appreciate it. - I'll try again tomorrow morning.
0 x

Strat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Strat »

It's a little difficult to see from your pics buy have you got the ground point on the chassis between the vol pot and input jack? One of the outer legs of the pot goes there. I might be tempted to add another by the input jack and ground the sleeve securely rather than relying on the chassis face.
0 x

Mooncar
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Mooncar »

Hey Soul,
You can give me a call tomorrow at the shop. We should be able to get it going pretty quick.

Ken
0 x