Newbie needs help w/Voxy VJ

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

soulsamurai
Unrated

Newbie needs help w/Voxy VJ

Post by soulsamurai »

My "Voxy" VJ includes the chassis upgrade, turret board & Heyboer OT from Turretboards.com

While playing at my church I started to get a nasty hum/buzz about halfway through the service. This hum got louder as I turned up and would go away when I turned all the way down at the amp. The hum was still there when I unplugged my guitar. I also tried different tubes both preamp and power.

I rechecked my solder joints and redid a few that looked suspect, and I twisted my white & yellow OT wires tighter together, I'd already twisted the 2 orange wires per Ken's instructions, but then I also twisted the 2 red wires from the PT to the diodes (which I soldered to the underside of my turret board). I also sanded the connections in my fuse holder.

I put everything back together and this time I still had a buzz (maybe a little quieter?) but no sound at all from my guitar. Tubes also seemed redder hotter than usual. My first thought was that maybe I'd connected the wrong blue and brown wires to my power switch. So I powered off and after waiting a minute removed the blue wire - and when I couldn't get the brown wire off with my hand I used my rubber grip pliers - I must have touched the chassis as I pulled the brown wire cause I got a big pop/shock - didn't hurt but sure scared me! Now there's a small black burn mark on the brown wire, but it doesn't really look damaged other than that. Upon closer inspection I had the correct blue and brown wires on there.

Now I have no power, no sound at all. :( I tried replacing the fuse with one had laying around (250v 3amp slow blow) is that ok? Still have nothing.

I'm afraid my technical (in)experience is really limited to the simple replacing of parts my electronics classes were over 20 years ago - so I'm completely over my head when it comes to trouble shooting.

Hoping some of you guru's can help me out - I need to play again this weekend and really don't want to go back to using my POD. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm off to work now, but will check back in later this evening.
0 x

BBQLS1
Old timer, Never stops talking

Post by BBQLS1 »

What are your voltages on your filter caps? B+?

I'm not an expert, almost a total newbie, but I'm thinking bad filter caps.

Post a pic while you are at it!
0 x
Don´t ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answers you want me to.

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

I'm a complete newb, so I may be completely ignorant of something, but it looks like I'm getting nothing. It's plugged in, the power switch is on (but the light doesn't work) when I measure volts at the filter caps I've got next to nothing .001 to .002 volts.

Could I have damaged my PT? I'm not sure how to post a pic - I'll see if I can figure something out.
0 x

BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

soulsamurai wrote:I'm a complete newb, so I may be completely ignorant of something, but it looks like I'm getting nothing. It's plugged in, the power switch is on (but the light doesn't work) when I measure volts at the filter caps I've got next to nothing .001 to .002 volts.

Could I have damaged my PT? I'm not sure how to post a pic - I'll see if I can figure something out.
Nothing at the caps? The next place to look is the secondaries off of the PT. If you have voltage there (~300), then I would think the rectifier is bad, otherwise the PT is bad or a fuse is blown.
0 x

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

I don't seem to be getting anything from the PT secondaries either. The fuse calls for a T4AL 250v - any harm in using a 3amp 250v fuse, or what about a slow blow fuse, if that's all I have on hand?
0 x

Ronzo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster
Location: Deep down in Florida... where the sun shines every day...

Post by Ronzo »

Sand the contacts of the PT primary's fuse holder. A number of forumites have had a problem with a foreign substance coating the inside of the contacts, preventing the fuse from making a good connection.
0 x
"This foolin´ around with tube amps... it´s addictive. It's like heroin, I tells ya! HEROIN!!!"

BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

soulsamurai wrote:I don't seem to be getting anything from the PT secondaries either. The fuse calls for a T4AL 250v - any harm in using a 3amp 250v fuse, or what about a slow blow fuse, if that's all I have on hand?
I don't know what the fuse is, you might look it up online. If you aren't sure if the fuse is good, pull it and test resistance. See if you are getting power to the fuse.
0 x

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

One of the first things I did was sand the contacts of the primary fuse holder. I just put in a new fuse - still getting nothing.

I am getting 119v ac from the wall, but that seems to be it. I don't seem to be getting anything at or beyond the power switch. Could I have damaged the switch itself or the lamp? The light doesn't come on when I switch it on.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

It sure sounds like the switch could be bad.
0 x

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

I hope that's all that's wrong. I'll see if I can't find a replacement switch of some sort tomorrow.

I'd sure like to get her up and running again before Saturday afternoon.

I think I've figured out how to attach some photos - please let me know if you all see anything else that is suspect - sorry for the quality it's with my Mac's built in camera - I still need to get a digital camera, but I keep buying music gear instead!

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO CHIMED IN HERE. :thumbsup: FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND HELP!
0 x

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

I'm getting frustrated, I just put in a new power switch - still nothing. :evil:
0 x

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

I'm in over my head, and I'm hoping that one of you smart & experienced gentlemen might have a suggestion that'll help get me fixed up and working again.
0 x

BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

You are getting power up to the switch? Are you getting power past the switch? If power is getting past the switch, then it is getting to the power transformer. If power isn't comming out of the PT on the secondaries, then it must be bad. If power isn't getting past the switch it must be bad.
0 x

BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

Oh yeah, I think the leads on the PT have fuses. Make sure they are good.
0 x

dram56
Unrated

Post by dram56 »

There is a mini fuse located in the 3 prong power socket. I bet that fuse blew, since you don't have any power "at" your switch.

Dave
0 x

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

BINGO! I replaced the mini fuse at the 3 prong, I hadn't even noticed that one before this morning. Thanks Dave!

Now I have power at the switch, the amp comes on but there's still annoying hum/buzz. I got some low volume (but ugly distortion) with my guitar plugged in, and the volume control isn't working - there's no change as I turn it up and down. The tubes look redder/hotter than usual too.

I have a couple questions - if you check the photos I posted earlier in this thread you'll noticed I ran the black wire from the volume control to the preamp tube under my turret board to keep it out of the way, also the two red wires from the PT to the rectifier diodes I also ran under the board and connected to base of the turrets - is there any reason I should have kept them all on top and not done that? Does anything else look suspect?

What do you suggest I should check next?

Thanks again everyone.
0 x

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

I've still got the nasty hum/buzz. The EL84 (I swapped the stock Sovtek with a new JJ but that didn't seem to make much difference) seems to be quite red/hot. Here are some measurements anyway - these seem to have fluctuated slightly from this morning +/- a volt or two in some cases. I hope somebody can help me out:

EL84:
pin 3 - 10v
pin 7 - 302v
pin 9 - 278v

12AX7:
pin1 - 165.5v
pin3 - 1.3v
pin6 - 165v

C1 - 165.5v
C2 - 165v
C5 - 10v
C6 - 359v
C7 - 293v
C8/C11 - 272v
C9 - 319v
Last edited by soulsamurai on Sat 05/12/07 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

dram56 wrote:There is a mini fuse located in the 3 prong power socket. I bet that fuse blew, since you don't have any power "at" your switch.

Dave
Good tip!
0 x

BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

soulsamurai wrote:I've still got the nasty hum/buzz, here are some measurements:

EL84:
pin 3 - 10v
pin 7 - 302v
pin 9 - 278v

12AX7:
pin1 - 165.5v
pin3 - 1.3v
pin6 - 165v

C1 - 165.5v
C2 - 165v
C5 - 10v
C6 - 359v
C7 - 293v
C8/C11 - 272v
C9 - 319v
Does the kit/board maker have a layout or schematic with the voltages?
0 x

soulsamurai
Unrated

Post by soulsamurai »

There's a layout here:

http://www.turretboards.com/vjr_layout_main_voxy.pdf

It pretty much follows the recommendations elsewhere on this site for the Baby Vox mods.

FWIW I also bought a Heyboer OT from Turretboards.com that was specifically made to upgrade the Valve Jr. It's primary is 6.6 however, which is slighter higher than the recommended 5 for a SE EL84. I also have a Hammond 125ESE which may be a better match - so if I can get the amp working I intend to compare the two OT's to see which one I like better. For now the Heyboer is installed.
0 x