Ceriatone Matchless DC30

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

ferreirafm

Ceriatone Matchless DC30

Post by ferreirafm »

Hi all.
I know that this forum is essencially for Marshall 18 Watt builders but I've been learning so much of guitar amp building theory in this site (and yet haven't build one 18 watt :oops: ) that I can't resist to ask if any of you guys has allready built one DC30 of Nik's kit's. I'm this close to buy one...
Many thanks in advance for any oppinions.
Best regards.
Fernando
0 x

BackwoodsJoe

Post by BackwoodsJoe »

I haven't built one but was interested. What is the shipping cost to the US?
0 x

tarzanalog
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by tarzanalog »

I've heard his Liverpool and DC30 amps in addition to my 36W TMB EF86 and they're all stellar.

User by the name of "rubrshrk" over at http://www.univalve.net/vbulletin/ has one and loves it! I almost got one instead of my 36W and maybe should have, but I felt that the EF86 channel was all I probably needed and FWIW I think I made the right choice.
0 x

argus

Post by argus »

I own one I bought assembled. It is identical in tone to the Matchless (once I loaded it with Mullard tubes anyway). Have A/B'ed it with a Bad Cat Black Cat- which is the same as the Matchless DC30. I used the same speaker, etc., and it's the same sound, not close, it's the same.

Really, it's fabulous. With that as a clean amp (though it WILL distort nicely) and an 18wt for the Marshall snarl and bark, you can have pretty much every sound you would ever, ever need.
0 x
A Fender and Gibson are as different as a Piano and an Organ.

jim50hertz
Unrated

Post by jim50hertz »

I've just bought a DC30 from Nik and can't wait to hear it...

I'm looking to build mine into a 2 x 12 combo but am drawing a blank on the best dimensions/design for the cab.

Any ideas on that?

Argus, did you put it in a head cab or a combo?

Cheers

Jim
0 x

ferreirafm

Ceriatone Matchless DC30

Post by ferreirafm »

Well I ordered the chassis, faceplates and some parts from Nik (I have the most common components allready).
For this order your oppinions were taken in account, as well other reviewers from harmony central I guess is a great amp.
Nik is a joy.
For transformers i guess the west labs are the obvious choice...
Jim, in the trinity forums is available a image with plans for a single 12' speaker for the lightning combo. Possibly you can extrapolate for a double 12' speaker...
Thanks for your replies
Fernando
0 x

argus

Post by argus »

Mine is in a head seperate. A combo gets WAY WAY too heavy, even with only a sinle speaker. The amp wieghs a fair amount, the trannies are HUGE. Add a speaker, and solid core plywood, or even solid pine and it's just too heavy...unless you have a crew.

In a flight case? Forget it. Even the crew will need to be two people just for the one box. I'd rather ake another trip and be able to lift it myself.
0 x
A Fender and Gibson are as different as a Piano and an Organ.

andrew7667
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by andrew7667 »

I'm planning on building a Ceriatone DC-30 in the next couple weeks. I've heard nothing but good things about Nik and the DC-30s, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'll either let you know or you can let me know how it turns out (depending on which one of us finishes first)!
0 x