Anyone thought of making an Orange Tiny Terror?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, that's correct. The dual-gang 500k pot in the power stage is the post-PI MV.

So taken in order, this amp has:
Gain control (dual gang 500k)
Master volume (dual gang 500k)
Tone/Treble Cut (single 500k)
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Wicksy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wicksy »

I've had a quick read about the PPIMV mod on NMV amps. Theres a nice thread over at Metroamp talking indepth. However i dont see much mentioned about the mod on cathode biased amps. I'm not sure how that would work.

The Metroamp thread is here for reference:

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=4390
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

In this case the post-PI MV is already part of the amp. And it makes no difference whether it's a cathode-biased or fixed bias amp. It works the same way in both cases. You just need to have a reasonable amount of gain in the preamp and PI, which is certainly the case with the Tiny Terror.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Wicksy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wicksy »

Yeah, i just had that pointed out on the Metroamp forum :oops: I had a copy of the schematic without the MV. The one posted on this thread already has it. That answers a lot of questions. Cheers!
0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

So is someone going to make a layout?. Not trying to get greedy, but I'd love to try to build this.
Thanks in advance.
0 x

bradleyt

Post by bradleyt »

The half power switch on this amp interesting but raises a question; would this be considered a form of power scaling? I know there is another thread on this subject but I am looking at it from this amps perspective. I normally think of a half power switch as a pentode/triode switch.

Thanks.
0 x

loyjdockery
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by loyjdockery »

Yeah it's reducing the B+ voltage to all the tubes. Although power scaling could mean reducing B+ voltage to 1) all tubes 2) power + PI 3)power tubes. This circuit is option 1.
0 x
Loy Dockery
Dockery Amps
http://www.dockeryamps.com

bradleyt

Post by bradleyt »

Thanks Loy. After looking at a picture of the tiny terror I see its labeled 15 watts - 7 watts. I suppose one could use a power resistor to drop the B+ coming from the rectifiers to achieve the same result, or to place the resistor before the rectifiers.

With the PPIMV wouldn't you achieve similar results of low volume vs. tube distortion, or is there something to power scaling I'm missing?

btw Loy one of these days I'm gonna get to work on that 18 watt amp; I'm to the fun stage of wiring everything up. :D
0 x

Wicksy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wicksy »

I'm working on the layout. The MK 1 version should be posted when i get it roughed out then put into electronic format. The half power switch is basically switching between two taps of the HT winding on the PT secondary. Barry Plows in the UK sells an 18 watt PT that can do just that. All you need is a two way switch (with three prongs on. The two PT taps go either side of the switch and the middle goes to the rectifer. That way you can switch between different B+s.

I'm thinking can caps might be easier with the hand-wired layout. A dual 50uF + 50uF and a single 100uF should do most of the filterign while the 22uF cap can be accomadated onboard.

It should be interesting to see whether i could build one from scratch cheaper than i could buy one. I intend to tear down by Ampmaker 18 watt lite for much of the bits and should just need to order a few pots and power resistors. I'm even going to have a go making my own chassis from a PC case...
0 x

straycat

Post by straycat »

What would happen by using a PT with 290/215 taps verses the 325/250 taps stated in another thread as the original voltages. Would this set of transformer work OK for the 7/15 watt drop?

http://www.brownnote.net/bntransformers.html
0 x

Wicksy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wicksy »

I would imagine that will be fine. You will just have to tailor the dropper resistors in the power section to get it right.

Do you have the URL for that thread with the stated voltages BTW?
0 x

straycat

Post by straycat »

0 x

Wicksy
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wicksy »

Cheers Stray Cat. I have a rough version of the layout which i'm going to tidy up and get in electronic format. I might have that up by tonight.

Reading that thread, there is a suggestion about replacing the power selector switch with a double pole switch to also switch in another cathode resistor when going from 7 watts to 15 watts thus keeping the bias of the output tubes consistent at both power levels. Thats a really good idea. I might try and implement that later on...
Last edited by Wicksy on Wed 05/16/07 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

populartsl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by populartsl »

Wicksey its good of you to do this. I got a trex i built with barry's iron so thats going to get butchered to make it.

Thanks Ben
0 x

jac
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jac »

Wicksey,

Hate to be a bother.

Wondering how the layout came out, like to try to build the terror, just not good enough for the schemo yet.

Thanks in advance.
Jac
0 x

m_alexander
Unrated

Post by m_alexander »

jac wrote:Wicksey,

Hate to be a bother.

Wondering how the layout came out, like to try to build the terror, just not good enough for the schemo yet.

Thanks in advance.
Jac
+ 1 8)
0 x