Cap Cans?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

joepopp
Unrated

Cap Cans?

Post by joepopp »

I was wondering if different Cap Cans can add to or change the sound of an amp. I just finished my JCM800 and it has J.J.s in it but was curious if some of the other makes (F&T, LCR, Ruby, etc.) will provide different tonal results. I know every component matters but my question is for Cap Cans, how much of a difference is it? Sorry if it's a newb question.

Thanks!

Joe

JCM800 build blog with clips
0 x

joe6v6
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by joe6v6 »

Hi Joe : I looked thru your website & thats a really nice amp you put together, nice clips too! . In my experience JJ caps are good caps & changing them to some other brand will have very little if any affect on tone. . Tube swapping is the easiest thing to try & it can have a dramatic affect on the sound of an amp. Also there are a lot of little things you can try that will change the sound & arnt so invasive, the preamp cathode bypass cap values can be raised or lowered to increase or decrease gain, (larger values generally give more gain & bass) or playing around with the tone stack. If there is something specific you want to change or a sound you are looking for ask around & someone will be able to help you. There have been plenty of those amps built here & theres no shortage of mods that have been done to them.

JOE
0 x