Serious Amp Addict...some would say he's got a problem

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

...always willing to cast a pall on the proceedings...these guys and gals are my bete noir. I once saw a picture of Mathias Jabs with his collection of Flying V's. Among his many trophies, it looked like he had about a tenth of the entire production run from 1967. This is why they go for stupid amounts of money. Pro's and collectors are willing to bid them up since price doesn't matter. Scarcity results. It's completely artificial and evil because those guitars and amps never get played. Eric Clapton did the right thing. I'd love to see Steven Stills cough up all his reverse Firebirds and pre-war Martins for something positive. Better yet, sell them off at reasonable bucks to musicians who will play them, not GC, Hard Rock Cafe, or Paul Allen who will entomb them under the false notion of enshrining them.

rant bit off
0 x

layboomo
Unrated

Post by layboomo »

NitroWoman wrote:Hey is there room for a Chevy Girl here. A '67 SS Chevelle resides in my garage. Big Blocks and 4 Speeds does a NitroWoman right. :D
Stop it NitroWoman! A lady who is into guitars,tube amps,muscle cars...if you say you also like beer and baseball you'll get marriage proposals from every guy on this forum who isn't light in the loafers. :lol:
0 x

dsquared

Post by dsquared »

jaysg wrote: This is why they go for stupid amounts of money. Pro's and collectors are willing to bid them up since price doesn't matter. Scarcity results. It's completely artificial and evil because those guitars and amps never get played.
Why even worry about it? Those items transitioned from "instruments" to "investments" years ago. Nostalgia drives the pricing, not utility.

There are plenty of great guitars being made for less cash than ever before. Screw nostalgia: Play them. Buy one.

And if you wanted to get really picky about woods and such, a completely custom-built guitar would still pull in under $5K. Then you'd have the "high quality wood like company X used in the 50's", with the attention to detail that custom work entails. Not 50's factory-line attention to detail.

Are old guitars cool? Yeah, some are... but don't get hung up on them.
0 x

GTRWUN
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by GTRWUN »

I sold my 62 Strat on e-bay a couple years back. I actually bought the guitar as both an investment, and to play. However, my playin desires were put to the test by the guitars very very low frets.....not from wear, but from being a 62.....thats how they were. What a bitch of a guitar to play. Too much for me to really enjoy. It did sound good....but not that good. The money is now a swimming pool in my backyard......much more useable! Steve :)
0 x

drhulsey
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by drhulsey »

How's come we NEVER hear about WOMEN and their hobbies :hmm: We ALWAYS hear about guys who spend too much money and time on golf, fishing, cars, motorcycles, poker, watching sports, amps, guitars, tools, etc. When we engage in a hobby, we spend too much time and money. When we sit on the couch and watch football: "Can't you do anything constructive!" 8O What's the old saying? Damned if you DO :!: Damned if you DON"T :!:
Well, I'll be damned :lookround:
GTRWUN wrote: The money is now a swimming pool in my backyard......much more useable!
But it sure is HELL to carry to a gig :!: :!:
Last edited by drhulsey on Tue 05/15/07 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

NitroWoman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NitroWoman »

layboomo wrote:
NitroWoman wrote:Hey is there room for a Chevy Girl here. A '67 SS Chevelle resides in my garage. Big Blocks and 4 Speeds does a NitroWoman right. :D
Stop it NitroWoman! A lady who is into guitars,tube amps,muscle cars...if you say you also like beer and baseball you'll get marriage proposals from every guy on this forum who isn't light in the loafers. :lol:
Baseball...Yes, Go Dodgers ( I used to live in SoCal and loved going to Dodger Stadium). Beer....Sorry, No, never could acquire a taste for it, although a friend of mine from NY brought me a Genise(sp?) Creme Ale that didn't suck. Also, I won't even bring up my addiction to model airplanes (R/C and C/L). (That's where the name NitroWoman comes from). :) So I guess my dreams of getting one of you guys is gone because I don't like beer. :cry:
0 x
Everything I know I learned by listening to myself talk about things I know nothing about.

drhulsey
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by drhulsey »

NitroWoman wrote: So I guess my dreams of getting one of you guys is gone because I don't like beer. :cry:
¿Te gusta tequila?
0 x

NitroWoman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NitroWoman »

drhulsey wrote:How's come we NEVER hear about WOMEN and their hobbies :hmm: We ALWAYS hear about guys who spend too much money and time on golf, fishing, cars, motorcycles, poker, watching sports, amps, guitars, tools, etc. When we engage in a hobby, we spend too much time and money. When we sit on the couch and watch football: "Can't you do anything constructive!" 8O What's the old saying? Damned if you DO :!: Damned if you DON"T :!:
Well, I'll be damned :lookround:
GTRWUN wrote: The money is now a swimming pool in my backyard......much more useable!
But it sure is **** to carry to a gig :!: :!:
That's why I'm single. I'm never damned. :lol:
0 x
Everything I know I learned by listening to myself talk about things I know nothing about.

NitroWoman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NitroWoman »

drhulsey wrote:
NitroWoman wrote: So I guess my dreams of getting one of you guys is gone because I don't like beer. :cry:
¿Te gusta tequila?
The truth is, alcohol and me don't get along. I go straight from sober it violently ill. Luckily there were substitutes when I was younger and foolisher. :wink:
0 x

drhulsey
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by drhulsey »

NitroWoman wrote:I'm never damned. :lol:
I have a VISION 8O NitroWoman haulin' down the freeway in SoCal in her '67 Chevelle–windows down–hair blowin' in the breeze– Dick Dale twangin' out a surf tune on the radio :kool: Ridin' free :!: Certainly not damned :!:
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

Lay off guys! Nitrowoman is mine!She can sit around and sip tea with me and build amps!I'll drink beer and belch.
Seriously,either the guy has mulla to burn or he's full of it.

Dan Ackroyd said" It's not lies,it's ****"(damn edit!) Bull Crap
0 x

NitroWoman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NitroWoman »

Phsyconoodler, my fantasy guy. :inlove: How elusive you are.
And, drhulsey, your vision is not too far from the truth. 8)
0 x

beerman

Post by beerman »

There'll always be a candle in the wind NW.... :wink:
0 x

Cheers and Beers.

layboomo
Unrated

Post by layboomo »

phsyconoodler wrote:Lay off guys! Nitrowoman is mine!She can sit around and sip tea with me and build amps!I'll drink beer and belch.
Seriously,either the guy has mulla to burn or he's full of it.

Dan Ackroyd said" It's not lies,it's ****"(damn edit!) Bull Crap
Do you think its coincidental that he quit playing for 10 years right after the Lab L-5 amp? That much I believe!
0 x

NitroWoman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NitroWoman »

beerman wrote:There'll always be a candle in the wind NW.... :wink:
Marilyn Monroe, Princess Diana, and NitroWoman. I guess I'm in good company. :)
0 x

Chubsman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Chubsman »

Do you play in a band Nitro? Have a website?
0 x

NitroWoman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NitroWoman »

No, I haven't been in a band in years and I have no website. I just play for my own pleasure these days.
0 x

fastvicar
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by fastvicar »

Nitro, we need to talk... :wink:

FWIW, I was at the filming of Pinks All Out last Saturday. Several big-block Chevelles there. You'd be in good company!

Back on-topic, I have the utmost respect for a good player who can get all of his sounds from one guitar and one amp. A Strat through a Champ or a LP through an 18W is capable of far more than we give them credit for.

Still doesn't say I don't like gear, though. I'm just happy with what I've got. (Did I just say that? 8O )
0 x

morcey2
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by morcey2 »

fastvicar wrote:Nitro, we need to talk... :wink:

FWIW, I was at the filming of Pinks All Out last Saturday. Several big-block Chevelles there. You'd be in good company!

Heck, I'd show up in a skirt and call myself NW to see those.(We need a "MY EYES" emoticon). Now if there are any big-block or nailhead buicks,.......

Matt
0 x

layboomo
Unrated

Post by layboomo »

fastvicar wrote:Nitro, we need to talk... :wink:

Back on-topic, I have the utmost respect for a good player who can get all of his sounds from one guitar and one amp. A Strat through a Champ or a LP through an 18W is capable of far more than we give them credit for.

Still doesn't say I don't like gear, though. I'm just happy with what I've got. (Did I just say that? 8O )
I agree totally....in the right hands 1 guitar is all you need! This might be a bit off topic,but it fits my thinking anyway...I also like real battle worn guitars with character,none of this retro-relic fake wear crap!!! You have to earn that look or it doesn't mean anything. It's been my experience that the prettiest guitars are for wannabees and guys with more money than talent to have something to hang on their walls and say see what I've got! Yawn! So what! Hey wait a minute I have a few pretty guitars too! Oh well,just insulted myself! :wink:
0 x