Serious Amp Addict...some would say he's got a problem

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

GREEN_CANOE

Post by GREEN_CANOE »

drhulsey wrote:
RML wrote:"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what´s more than enough." --Billie Holiday
When you get served with the Divorce papers, it's MORE than enough nono I try to leave 'em at the office for a while until my wife kinda gets used to 'em. Then I bring them home. "Oh! That old thing! I've had that for a LONG time!" :wink: Now building your own amps REALLY shows some intiative to cut back on spending :!: "Oh! That old thing! I didn't buy that. I built it!" Besides, you can hide components a lot easier than amps :wink:
A mountian biking forum I visit has the saying "You should always be only one bike away from a divorce". :twisted:

Me? I have to Ebay stuff so I can afford my next build. :cry: Too many hobbies not enough disposable income.
0 x

WesKuhnley
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by WesKuhnley »

Graydon wrote::-) A Ferrari 308 or the new Ducati 1098 would be fine. :wink:
Aw come on...leave the Italian trash alone and at least fantisize about a real man's car... '67 Shelby Mustang!
0 x

Aharon
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Aharon »

What bothers me is that ................he wasn't happy with any of them?..........
Aharon
0 x

drhulsey
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by drhulsey »

GREEN_CANOE wrote: "You should always be only one bike away from a divorce".
That one bike or amp that put you over the limit could be REALLY expensive :!: And you might be entitled to only HALF of it :cry:
0 x

ctams
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ctams »

dartanion wrote:That's pretty funny stuff :lol:

I think the guy is for real. He claims to only have about 5 or so on hand at any one time. I find that hard to believe. He also says he's married! Even harder to believe.

I think the guy just has a lot of money and free time.
He may have a music shop and neglected to say it's all inventory. Just a thought.
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

He doesn't sound like a shop owner as others on TGP have bought amps from him directly and he makes no claims to be a shop owner. One part of the thread he talks about buying them just to audition them, then sell it. He thanked AmEx for the 20 day grace period!!!

This is apparently his personal quest for tonal nirvana. To me it looks like a compulsion to claim ownership of every boutique amp ever made :lol:
0 x

GREEN_CANOE

Post by GREEN_CANOE »

drhulsey wrote:
GREEN_CANOE wrote: "You should always be only one bike away from a divorce".
That one bike or amp that put you over the limit could be REALLY expensive :!: And you might be entitled to only HALF of it :cry:
Paraphrasing John Wayne, " A man has to know his limitations".
0 x

ctams
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ctams »

dartanion wrote:He doesn't sound like a shop owner as others on TGP have bought amps from him directly and he makes no claims to be a shop owner. One part of the thread he talks about buying them just to audition them, then sell it. He thanked AmEx for the 20 day grace period!!!

This is apparently his personal quest for tonal nirvana. To me it looks like a compulsion to claim ownership of every boutique amp ever made :lol:
Wow! He's lucky he doesn't have a vintage car Jones then. I've seen that get (not me) REAL expensive.
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

So where are his Dumbles and Trainwrecks?
0 x

drhulsey
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by drhulsey »

Alexo wrote:So where are his Dumbles and Trainwrecks?
In the fancy garage with the Rolls Royces and the Bugati's :!:
0 x

Greenback
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

GEAR CHASER

Post by Greenback »

Hi Guys

I know a guy who is close to the fellow in question. He is running every weekend to the local music store swapping things around. The result is , no money and nothing to show for. Just think about the money you spend swapping amps and guitars around. The shop always gets his cut.
I was lucky to see him in action several times and his face gets very intense if he sees a new toy. Suddenly he becomes hyperactive and his eyes are wide open. Scary stuff.

The bottom line is. He is not interested in playing and enjoying the tone.

The only way to describe him is the word “GEAR CHASER”
0 x

floridajack
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

gear chaser

Post by floridajack »

i knew a guy like that back in the early '80s. had as many as 8 late '60s through mid '70s "muscle cars." always buying and selling and trading. never satisfied.

i finally convinced him he was missing the point - i challanged him to bring every car he had to the strip and i blew all of them away with my carefully built dart 383 six-pack. he sold everything except his wedge 'cuda snd built it into a real ground pounder. every once in a while he would get gas and i would remind him that he had lost enough money in his early days of buying and selling to get 2 more 'cudas and have enough left over to snag a six-pack dart. i still beat him every time we raced - hey i never said i quit spending money on the dart :lol:

fj
0 x

95strat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by 95strat »

GREEN_CANOE wrote:Too many hobbies not enough disposable income.

Isn't that always the truth?! :evil: :lol:
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Re: gear chaser

Post by dartanion »

floridajack wrote:i knew a guy like that back in the early '80s. had as many as 8 late '60s through mid '70s "muscle cars." always buying and selling and trading. never satisfied.

i finally convinced him he was missing the point - i challanged him to bring every car he had to the strip and i blew all of them away with my carefully built dart 383 six-pack. he sold everything except his wedge 'cuda snd built it into a real ground pounder. every once in a while he would get gas and i would remind him that he had lost enough money in his early days of buying and selling to get 2 more 'cudas and have enough left over to snag a six-pack dart. i still beat him every time we raced - hey i never said i quit spending money on the dart :lol:

fj
I love old Mopars!!! I was born into a Mopar family and had many. Obviously your Dart was not stock, which is cool. I always found the 6 pack setup a real PITA to keep tuned. Single 4BBL or Dual for that matter was easier. Wish I would have kept all the cars I owned. I could sell one and be able to afford a real Wreck & a Dumble :?
0 x

NitroWoman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NitroWoman »

Hey is there room for a Chevy Girl here. A '67 SS Chevelle resides in my garage. Big Blocks and 4 Speeds does a NitroWoman right. :D
0 x
Everything I know I learned by listening to myself talk about things I know nothing about.

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

...always willing to cast a pall on the proceedings...these guys and gals are my bete noir. I once saw a picture of Mathias Jabs with his collection of Flying V's. Among his many trophies, it looked like he had about a tenth of the entire production run from 1967. This is why they go for stupid amounts of money. Pro's and collectors are willing to bid them up since price doesn't matter. Scarcity results. It's completely artificial and evil because those guitars and amps never get played. Eric Clapton did the right thing. I'd love to see Steven Stills cough up all his reverse Firebirds and pre-war Martins for something positive. Better yet, sell them off at reasonable bucks to musicians who will play them, not GC, Hard Rock Cafe, or Paul Allen who will entomb them under the false notion of enshrining them.

rant bit off
0 x

layboomo
Unrated

Post by layboomo »

NitroWoman wrote:Hey is there room for a Chevy Girl here. A '67 SS Chevelle resides in my garage. Big Blocks and 4 Speeds does a NitroWoman right. :D
Stop it NitroWoman! A lady who is into guitars,tube amps,muscle cars...if you say you also like beer and baseball you'll get marriage proposals from every guy on this forum who isn't light in the loafers. :lol:
0 x

dsquared

Post by dsquared »

jaysg wrote: This is why they go for stupid amounts of money. Pro's and collectors are willing to bid them up since price doesn't matter. Scarcity results. It's completely artificial and evil because those guitars and amps never get played.
Why even worry about it? Those items transitioned from "instruments" to "investments" years ago. Nostalgia drives the pricing, not utility.

There are plenty of great guitars being made for less cash than ever before. Screw nostalgia: Play them. Buy one.

And if you wanted to get really picky about woods and such, a completely custom-built guitar would still pull in under $5K. Then you'd have the "high quality wood like company X used in the 50's", with the attention to detail that custom work entails. Not 50's factory-line attention to detail.

Are old guitars cool? Yeah, some are... but don't get hung up on them.
0 x

GTRWUN
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by GTRWUN »

I sold my 62 Strat on e-bay a couple years back. I actually bought the guitar as both an investment, and to play. However, my playin desires were put to the test by the guitars very very low frets.....not from wear, but from being a 62.....thats how they were. What a bitch of a guitar to play. Too much for me to really enjoy. It did sound good....but not that good. The money is now a swimming pool in my backyard......much more useable! Steve :)
0 x

drhulsey
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by drhulsey »

How's come we NEVER hear about WOMEN and their hobbies :hmm: We ALWAYS hear about guys who spend too much money and time on golf, fishing, cars, motorcycles, poker, watching sports, amps, guitars, tools, etc. When we engage in a hobby, we spend too much time and money. When we sit on the couch and watch football: "Can't you do anything constructive!" 8O What's the old saying? Damned if you DO :!: Damned if you DON"T :!:
Well, I'll be damned :lookround:
GTRWUN wrote: The money is now a swimming pool in my backyard......much more useable!
But it sure is HELL to carry to a gig :!: :!:
Last edited by drhulsey on Tue 05/15/07 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x