5E3 Paul Ruby buzz fix?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

pylet2000
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

5E3 Paul Ruby buzz fix?

Post by pylet2000 »

I have a 5E3 that really sounds great, but as of late I've noticed a very slight 'ghost distortion' on the decay of chords or single notes. The amp sounds solid, cleans are perfect, drive tones are warm and great if you can ignore the byproduct.

Sounds like what folks describe before being told by the wiser forum members to lok up the Paul Ruby zener buzz fix.

Can this situation apply to a 5E3? Is the base culprit blocking distortion?

Thanks folks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I've tried swapping tubes, speakers (the reason I've been playing this amp alot more lately...), twisted OT wires, lot's of little poking, with no results. I read where one guy was able to change the V1 bypass caps with something of very similar value and his slight trailing buzzy junk was gone, I still need to try that. That implies defective parts or bad solder joints, but it worked for him at least.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Personally, I doubt that's your problem. I don't think the 6V6s in the 5E3 are getting hammered nearly as hard as the EL84s in an 18W. FYI, changing the 470k grid leaks in an 18W power stage to 220k will cure the buzz problem.

I suspect a bad cap and/or bad joint in your amp.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp