my 5E3 clone is going to get KILLED!!! (NOOOOOOOOT!!!!)

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

richon
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

my 5E3 clone is going to get KILLED!!! (NOOOOOOOOT!!!!)

Post by richon »

i'm so pissed off with my second DELUXE clone

i've tried every swap, change, meassurment, speaker, OT , PT caps change, tube change.. everything... and???

can't find where the HUM GET's into the amp....

maybe i'm wrong but i guess a B+ of 405V right after the 5Y3GT isn't that high to make the power tubes and all the circuit work as a super fender deluxe sound but the HUM STILL INCREASSES with the VOLUME i each channel!

i put also 470ohms/1W in the 6v6 screens....
i've tried filtering more the B+...

so right now i don't know what to do with the amp beside turning it appart ... and maybe build with some of the parts another HEAD based on the deluxe...
Last edited by richon on Tue 05/15/07 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Watch my Blog with DIY tube amps and boutique effects (from CHILE) http://www.richon-caster.blogspot.com

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

HUM STILL INCREASSES with the VOLUME i each channel!
That is good news! :lol: That means you know what section of the amp is letting the hum in. Does it go away when you pull V1? If so, try using isolated "cliff jacks" on the inputs and run your ground from it to meet your cathode of V1. This might work if your problem is a ground loop, it's happened to me before.

If you just want to test that this may be the cause without spending the money, just unscrew your input jacks so that they are not touching the chassis and ground them with a lead to V1's cathode ground.
0 x

richon
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by richon »

well.... thanks, i'll try it in a few hours at home.... what can i loose... :lol:

but i'm still mad at the amp! :evil:
0 x
Watch my Blog with DIY tube amps and boutique effects (from CHILE) http://www.richon-caster.blogspot.com

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

but i'm still mad at the amp!
I know the feeling, I felt that way about my 5E3, I got a lot of noise and hum when I turned up the volume too, I was really tearing my hair out about it. One day I chopsticked it and found a signal wire was running just a little too close to the power line running to the on/off switch. I moved the lead back about a half an inch and all hum was gone! I did my own layout on that build so I'd be suprised if you had the same thing going on in your amp, but trust me, you'll find the problem and when you do you will be as happy as you are frustrated now.
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

Grounds are the biggest problem with hum in 5E3's.The input jacks don't need to be isolated.Try lifting the ground in the preamp section,attaching a jumper wire and moving that ground to different locations til it gets quiet.Of course,make sure you shut the amp off between moves,or at least put it on standby.
0 x

richon
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by richon »

it's alive!!!!!

i can't believe how much i've struggle to make this amp quiet (without hummmmmmm)...

so i follow ALEXO's advice...

lift the ground conection fo the inputs and conect it to the ground of the bypass cap.... so the GROUND loop went and all de HUMMMM went away!!!!

now i have a dead quiet , GREAT SOUNDING amp!!!!

8) X 1.000.000.000.000

THANKS.... muchisisisismas gracias a todos!!![/b]
0 x

Alexo
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Alexo »

:D :D :D

Glad to hear it!

Rock on!
0 x

richon
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by richon »

i'm ROCKING!!!!

my neighbours hear me rocking!!!

and maybe the police is coming 'cause i'm ROCKING really LOUD!!! :)

once again.... thanks for the great advice!
0 x