Which 50 watt Plexi layout do you like?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Which 50 watt Plexi layout do you like?

Post by mchauck »

I'm planning a 50 watt Plexi build and have three layouts. One has better graphics...One has better info (Hoffman). There is a Ceritone also. I value your opinions and would love to hear yours!!
0 x

paulster

Post by paulster »

The third looks like a Billy Batz one from the Metroamp forum. If that's the case then it's probably about as good as you're going to get in terms of authentic layout. His 100W varieties cover all of the major revisions Marshall made over the years, so this looks like his take on a 1987 from 69.

Not as easy to follow as the others but if you're planning to lay it out exactly as Marshall did (and aren't too bothered about the lack of a schematic) then it's probably the way to go. It doesn't show all the ground connections but if you do a search on the Metro forum then Rockstah posted a good example of exactly how to do it for a quiet amp, which is local grounds including their corresponding filter caps.

Nik's is a combination of local ground and star ground, which could suffer from having the presence pot in particular grounded with the preamp. It's also arguable whether having the star ground point at the PT is a good idea since there's a lot of opportunity for AC noise to be induced there.
0 x

FUCOW

Post by FUCOW »

My personal fav is the Ceria Tone 2204 because I think you have more options as an all around amp.
0 x

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

Go to the Metroamps forum and look in the 50 watt section. There is a layout by Billy Batz done in .pdf that is a good layout to follow.

Ken
0 x

layboomo
Unrated

Post by layboomo »

kd wrote:Go to the Metroamps forum and look in the 50 watt section. There is a layout by Billy Batz done in .pdf that is a good layout to follow.

Ken
I would agree with that recommendation. Here is a pic of my 50 watt with metroamp board and a PPIV MV.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/ ... o/mar1.jpg
Man sorry downloaded the wrong pic!
0 x

benjoi

Post by benjoi »

paulster wrote:The third looks like a Billy Batz one from the Metroamp forum.
Yeah that's the Billy Batz layout, I'm going to use his layout for my 50 watter. Like the guy's said, check out the metroamp site, lots of good info on Marshalls with the big bottles.
0 x

mchauck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by mchauck »

Thanks guys...thought this one was buried for good!!!! I just visited my local elect surplus store and stocked a box full of parts. Just need some 10K 2watt resistors and I got it. The rest of the stuff, I got from Hoffman's and some MM iron just ordered fro s2. This should be alot of fun. I am trying to decide of I should make my own chassis (for a head) or buy one with the plexi front and rear panels. Anyway...got 12ax7s on the way and that should be that. Will post as I go. And BTW....any build pix would be appreciated. I am going to build the 2004 with the two volumes. I like the versitility it offers. Again....thanks
Brian
0 x

Eric
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Eric »

What is that 47pf cap between the 82k and 100k resistors for? Thanks
0 x

nwobhm
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nwobhm »

Eric wrote:What is that 47pf cap between the 82k and 100k resistors for? Thanks
From what I've always understood it's a sorta top cut to smooth the tone out. I did it on a 18 LITE and I really liked the results. I think Vox usually has a cap and a pot connected there for there top cut control.
0 x

Aharon
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Aharon »

Prevents oscillations.
Aharon
0 x